Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbrett

Hi All,

Came across this great little post about warning signs of a bad SEO client. Basically the kind of client that is not going to be worth it regardless of the fee.

Here is a link to the post

Here are the top 5
1. They name-drop books, blogs, and other SEO-related materials in nearly every conversation.
2. They insist on web design gimmicks that detract from the user experience.
3. They demand results on an unrealistic time table.
4. They protest your rates on the basis that there are, "tons of SEO software options available on ClickBank for $97".
5. They ask for keyword research and then override your findings with their "sense" of what their firm should rank for.

I am sure there are loads of other goo examples of this. Here are a couple of mine.
1 - Why am I not in ranking for this "highly generic" phrase?
2 - Once you do your initial SEO work why should we continue to pay a monthly fee?

Blimp

Good point you raise here. It is very important to be very alert in the initial meeting with the client and ensure everything is written down in a contract with the client before starting to work on a project.

At the other side the client has to be alert as well. There are many SEO 'companies' that promise a lot but can not deliver. That is why often prises are so low.

ryanoryan

Number 5 always does my head in!

There is no search volume for that phrase
But this is what we do, we have to have it on the homepage.
You could phrase it this way, which has a much higher search volume
No I want it my way

5 months later

Why aren't people visiting my site?

chicagorox

My favorite promise is "we'll get you ranking on the first page within minutes", and then when you ask them about it they tell you that they manage your google adwords account for a monthly 1k fee.

ryanoryan

My favorite promise is "we'll get you ranking on the first page within minutes", and then when you ask them about it they tell you that they manage your google adwords account for a monthly 1k fee.

It's the actual clients themselves we are making fun of here, not the SEO companies :chuncky:

chicagorox

If they ask you for something you cannot do (like guarantee the first spot) and are persistent even after you explain to them the process and complications, that's a good sign of a bad client.

sphere

Well with all that being said can you recommend any good SEO experts/clients and what time frame you will be looking at to getting optimised on google page 1. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

pfurey101

You raise an excellent point. Proper SEO work is a long-term commitment for both parties involved. It's important to be sharp and pay attention during those initial meetings. to see if your relationship will develop or end up in divorce court ;)
If you hearing a lot of low-balling, it may be time to look at clients who do have a bit of a budget; and those who also have an understanding the ups and downs of the business. Keep their best interests in mind, it's a partnership after all.
Disrespect should never be tolerated from a client, assuming of course you are doing your part to deliver. If they threaten with better findings elsewhere, wish them well and move on to your next success story!

quang cao nha dat

Good man newsky - working hard on your offpage SEO I see! Cutting and pasting this generic posting seems to work well for you, you do get around with it - don't you!

Status
Not open for further replies.