accessible web-design & Accessibility Consultancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

seodave

building accessible sites is one thing, but making sexy, attractive and professional looking is another battle all together. Company sitss need to look professional and be accessible.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I do hope that you are not suggesting that my web-site is not sexy enough? It looks exactly as I designed it to look.
It's not sexy.

Happy? :)
It often amuses me that people who say things like this are the ones whose web-sites contain the same old stock images as every other business site, (you know - a woman using a computer, some guys in suits, suits shaking hands..) or pages plastered with google adverts, and the dreaded drab grey `corporate feel'.
Nothing wrong with stock images if your site is attractive ....

the guru

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I agree. However, I think you and I have different opinions on sexy.

Sorry good luck with it

seodave

I do hope that you are not suggesting that my web-site is not sexy enough? It looks exactly as I designed it to look.

It often amuses me that people who say things like this are the ones whose web-sites contain the same old stock images as every other business site, (you know - a woman using a computer, some guys in suits, suits shaking hands..) or pages plastered with google adverts, and the dreaded drab grey `corporate feel'.
Well I always thought that a website was a place to showcase a persons skills/services etc. Like in my site I have tonnes of info about SEO because this is where my alleged :D skill is. People match the good articles with good services (well thats the idea).

You say your site looks exactly as it was designed to look, I feel then from a marketing and selling yourself point of view you have made a mistake in ging with this design. Particularly in the case of someone offering web design services, you really have to have a sexy and professional looking site youself for people to want to have you design their sites. I thought this was a fairly basic approach and most designers would know of this.

As far as critism towards mysite, of course you opinion is welcome, but to defend myself, I'm not a web designer nor graphic designer I never claim to be and thus if stock images is what I use stock images is what I use. It does not detract from the 200 or so articles on my site. I designed it myself to keep costs down as much as possible.

In regards to adwords, this helps me keep the site a float (as it does for many ppl) . Only recently i had to renew my vbulletion license and pay my hosting, most of my SEO jobs come through offline sources (word of mouth, leaflets etc.) and not my website directly so why begrudge me a couple of ads which help to break even, I have after all helped many ppl in the lifetime of my site, do I not deserver to break even.

fieldcorbett

I'm afraid I have to agree with SEO Dave here. One of the major difficulties in convincing clients to build accessible websites is the perception that this means sacrificing design. I know you didn't submit your website for a design review but I would suggest that if you are an expert in accessibility you should be showcasing what you can do while still having a great looking site.

I think of Dave's site differently as he showcases his skills by having tools and articles on his site. If I was a SEO customer I could tell he knows his stuff. I'd query the use of Ads on a business site but hey its more important he looks like he knows what he's talking about.

And, as harsh as this may sound, your site makes me think you don't - thats no comment on your skills just the impression your site gives - sorry.

des

TheMenace

Erigena, you would do well to take the advice you've received in this thread. I'm a harsh man and I'm going to be harsh - your site looks absolutely dreadful. Accessible web design is about more than learning standards and accessibility and plonking some text on top of some differently coloured boxes on a non-existent grid. The idea that accessible websites have to look drab and boring shows a total lack of technical and creative ability.

Having said this, you're on the right path. It's admirable that you take standards and accessibility seriously and you've got more kudos than the majority of web designers who still mark their sites up using nested tables! Don't go on the defensive when criticised though. If you're not a good designer, you're not a good designer. Deluding yourself into thinking you're good and saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and then continuing to design s**t looking sites isn't helping anyone - you or your clients. I'm a crap designer. And that's an understatement. I got a good designer to design my website. Know where you stand. This industry is too full of crap designers who think they're good and make a mockery of the profession. The same goes for coders, SEO's, etc. Find your strengths and play to them.

louie

I had something similar in my head, but didn't want to say it. I probably have a bigger heart which doesn't do me good every-now-and-then, but you are right there. The colors are well ott.

TheMenace

I probably have a bigger heart
I have a big heart. When it comes to Web design and development though, I'm as honest as the day is long. There's simply no point in treating people with kid gloves anymore. People producing amateur work and selling themselves as propfessionals directly affects my lifestyle and career by making my own talents less credible. If we don't have regulation (which we never really can) then we need 1) peer honesty and 2) client education.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If we don't have regulation (which we never really can) then we need 1) peer honesty and 2) client education.
That is SO true

Unfortunately, as Richard pointed out in another thread, clients can be easily duped by marketing speak and flashy brochures.

One of our competitors, for example, has some very slick PR material. Anyone in the industry knows that their service is crap, but they are able to make it sound good

louie

Do you know what, you are so right. I am going to change my attitude from now on. My business is suffering in the last few month because of so called "professionals", so is time for a new f****g leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Award-winning Mac antivirus and Internet security software