Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

Hi I've been thinking about anchor text & how to be creative.

Let say I'm looking to get ranked for 'home improvements'

To get coverage & lots of links would this work well in a monthly newsletter?

*Also any other good ideas out there?

Michael Brookes

Hi Glenn, just joined the forum and saw no-one had responded to this thread. Being creative with anchor texts is a great idea.

If the search engines were to see only "exact match" keyword anchor links appearing to your site and no "natural" anchor links (e.g for more information on this subject click <link>here</link>) it could reduce the link weight passed to your site.

I assume the newsletter would be published online somewhere and not only emailed?

If it were to only be emailed to your newsletter contact list, the anchor text is irrelevant as far as search engines are concerned.

A great post I read on this a few weeks ago was :

SEOmoz | YOUmoz - 10 Commandments of Link Building

(not sure I can post links so if the link above isn't visible try searching on seomoz for "10 commandments of link building")

Think we've overdone the "exact match" keyword thing. We always ref from our newly designed customers websites with 'Web Designers Wexford', but with Googles recent Panda update (I suspect at least), we've been hit very very hard indeed. We're going to have to re examine the entire process now :-(

bober

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum & thanks for the link :) I have a good understanding of anchor text, suppose i was just sussing out creative ways to place anchor text. I was hoping to use anchor text in my mail shot then in turn relay what i'm about - let's say i sent out a monthly newsletter. check out my site i chat about "seo in dublin'; <- that being the anchor text, this would represent my site as being 'seo in dublin' being opened on various machines in various e-mail accounts such as gmail, yahoo, live etc. (i don't have a newsletter/e-mail shot by the way, just general for instance talk).

@twoheads unlucky on the overdoing of 'exact match' here's an interesting article as to the real winners & losers as a result of the Panda update. How are you going to be affected by 'exact match' is it because the only anchor text you have backlinking to you is 'web designers wexford' check out my blog and video I found about anchor text landscapingideas.com use 'landscaping ideas' as main anchor text & there page 1 global - is this what your kinda talking about?

Yeah bober, thats exactly it. In essence for some time we've been pretty much following that landscaping ideas principle, and in general being a small biz we were content to focus on one main term 'web designers wexford' (it is a popular search term among potential customers anyway) - so the thinking was if all our customers sites have this anchor text surely it will pay dividends. Alas now we're thinking being too specific may in fact be harming the results. We did make some changes very recently and have not yet been re indexed so ill know how good/bad that whole update is very soon.
BTW, nice touch with the detailed video. Kudos for taking time out to share the knowledge!!
Thanks Bober!

Michael Brookes

Thanks for the anchor text info Bober, one suggestion I have to get good link coverage and link building for a term like "home improvements" is to do guest blogs on a related website. Blog owners are often happy to have someone do a guest post on a related subject and allow a backlink on the page.

@twoheads - having many exact match anchor text links to your site that match exactly the domain name they are linking to negates the negative impact of having many exact match anchor text links to sites that don't match the anchor text (hope that sentence made sense, sounded good in my head!)

If we use the two sites mentioned above as an example.

Anchor text "Web Designers Wexford" linking to twoheads.ie, no match.

Anchor text "Landscaping Ideas" linking to landscapingideas.com, exact match!

Google will see the first example as trying to manipulate the search results, the second one is just people linking to the domain name using the domain name in the anchor text.

I would suggest trying to vary your footer links a bit while keeping them webdesign Wexford related.

Cheers Michael - was always aware it wasnt optimum so the actual URL behind the Anchor is in fact
HTML:
http://www.twoheads.ie/Web-Designers-Wexford.htm
in order to make some sort of connection. Anyway, to be honest, the goal of higher ranking should not overshadow the fact we are like the proverbial builder who needs to get someone in to build his extension :) - meaning our own site is dreadful and a good example of how not to do it (its 5 years old now and pretty much untouched) but thankfully we've been mad busy getting paying customers sites to rank #1 so its all about priorities eh.
Someday soon we'll flex our creative juices on our own site.

Status
Not open for further replies.