Status
Not open for further replies.

bearaman

Hi,
Is there any software out there that handles the content management and administration of multiple websites? What I'd like is the following:

• Multiple website domains running off a single software install.
  • Undate the core with a plugin/extension once, the plugin/extension is available to all websites.
  • Website will be available as a sub-directory e.g. www.parentsite.com/sites/mysite (or mysite.parentsite.com) and also as a domain e.g. www.mysite.com
Thanks,
Bearaman

bearaman

Thanks for the replies.
WPMU looks interesting but can it be used to produce pages of content rather than blogs? Anyone actually tried using these systems? Would love to hear someone's practical experience...I understand Typo3 is great but a real slog to learn. MovableType seems to cost money but may be worth it.
Thanks Again,
Bearaman

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
We have been using MovableType for the last couple of years and love it.

WP is not really designed as a CMS in the traditonal sense and since it doesn't come with proper caching does not scale very well

MT has a number of different licenses and will also be available as Open Source very soon. It does scale well

bearaman

Hi Again,
At first, I was thinking of going with WPMU as there's loads of WP themes available, it's user friendly and easy for a person with basic computer skills to use. When you say it doesn't scale well, how many blogs/websites are you talking about before you notice performance hits?
MT opensource looks to be on the way but it may take a while for extensions and themes to come online.
Does MT handle domain mapping?
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Bearaman

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Again,
At first, I was thinking of going with WPMU as there's loads of WP themes available, it's user friendly and easy for a person with basic computer skills to use. When you say it doesn't scale well, how many blogs/websites are you talking about before you notice performance hits?

It depends how busy they are and which plugins you are using.

I've killed powerful servers with a single blog ...
MT opensource looks to be on the way but it may take a while for extensions and themes to come online.
Does MT handle domain mapping?
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Bearaman

MT handles domain mapping perfectly

Blacknight Blog and Budget DNS Blog both run from the same backend ie. single login

bearaman

MT is starrting to sound like a winner. I know it's made for blogging but can it be hacked to display websites easily enough? I take it all the sites can be easily managed via a central admin screen? Easy for an client with basic computer skills to update content?
Thanks again,
Bearaman

seaghan

Drupal will do what you need - and without any extensions, as this functionality is in the 'core'. Alternatively, you can copy/clone most CMSs by duplicating the database (MySql for example) and the website.

TypoIII is a freight train - same momentum and design curves ;)
MT is hackable and flexible with loads of skins.
Drupal is superior in many ways. Although Joomla is great also, it has not got multisites in the core.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.