Are there any risks of not upgrading phpMyAdmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@rc

I've just looked in my cPanel for one of my servers and noticed that there's a new version of phpMyAdmin.
Now, my server administrator is away and I'm not sure if there's a risk in leaving it as it currently is.. (AKA not upgrading phpMyAdmin)

All that I wish to know is.. Is there a security risk if phpMyAdmin is not upgraded to the latest version that was released just a few weeks ago?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If there's an upgrade available you should install it, as PhpMyAdmin (and a lot of other PHP / MySQL scripts) usually get upgraded due to security issues.

If you're using Cpanel all you'd be doing is just clicking a couple of buttons.. so it's not real server admin work

M@rc

If there's an upgrade available you should install it, as PhpMyAdmin (and a lot of other PHP / MySQL scripts) usually get upgraded due to security issues.

If you're using Cpanel all you'd be doing is just clicking a couple of buttons.. so it's not real server admin work
Control panel is Kloxo.. (if you're not talking about general "control panel" and just the cPanel control panel)
It's the same, right?

Also, is there any risks of running into any sort of errors while upgrading phpMyAdmin? (including data lost, etc..)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well Kloxo isn't Cpanel :)

Generally speaking (and your mileage may vary) upgrading phpmyadmin is simply a matter of new scripts replacing the old ones, so it shouldn't have any impact on data. Just check the versions carefully - if the old one is susceptible to a nasty security hole then ...

M@rc

Well Kloxo isn't Cpanel :)

Generally speaking (and your mileage may vary) upgrading phpmyadmin is simply a matter of new scripts replacing the old ones, so it shouldn't have any impact on data. Just check the versions carefully - if the old one is susceptible to a nasty security hole then ...
Yeah, I know Kloxo isn't cPanel, lmao.
I know some people shorten the word "control" and say cPanel for "control panel" so I was unsure if you were talking about cPanel or another control panel (so I wanted to confirm).

Thanks for your answer, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.