Status
Not open for further replies.

ziycon

What are peoples feelings on ASP vs PHP, which would be prefered or what do you think is more powerful??
I'm thinking on moving over to ASP but haven't seen a lot of support community wise for it yet!

louie

I did ASP for 4-5 years then moved to PHP and never looked back.
Saying that they both are very powerful but if you want to go the asp way look into asp.net learning curve.

ziycon

I thought myself PHP and have really lliked it the past 3 years, i did ASP .net 2.0 for 6months and it seemed ok, a lot more complex then PHP.
So PHP isn't a dated language then?

louie

I would say there are more php developers out there than anything else.
I could be wrong but I am more than 50% sure.

davidbehan

I'm purely ASP at the moment but I have played with PHP. If you are doing PHP, I'd advise sticking with it. I've picked up a book on PHP and have been learning it. Just really learning the structure and how it works. I'm only a few chapters in and I can already see how much better it is. Although I can do most things in ASP, I'm going to try and make the move over to PHP. The language just seems more geared towards developers: easier code, shortcuts, ready components, etc.

As a matter of interest, how long do you think it would take to convert from ASP to PHP in terms of getting to a comfortable real time production skill level?

TheMenace

As a matter of interest, how long do you think it would take to convert from ASP to PHP in terms of getting to a comfortable real time production skill level?

It depends on how much time you put into it. I've been learning PHP on-and-off (mostly off though) for about 6 months now and I'm already fairly comfortable with it. There are a few small things that I need to get my head around yet and I intend to get learn Zend as well.

louie

When I moved from ASP, I have to say, it didn't take me long as the principles are the same, just the way functions works and you have to keep adding ";" at the end of the line. I used and still do PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor a lot, bought few books and managed to get the hang of it very quick.

rooneydavid

Im doing the move from ASP to PHP at the moment. Only to have it as another language to know. With ASP, I have been doing it for 8 years and it is like English to me. The problem with going to PHP from ASP is just the way it is more strict how you code. ASP is way to flexable with that. But what I will say is the PHP image editing functions are so easy to work with. Not like ASP or ASP.NET.

louie

Same problem I had. I Love the image resize myself and also there is more help in using php then I ever found while using asp.

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
The problem with going to PHP from ASP is just the way it is more strict how you code. ASP is way to flexable with that.

This typical MS BS. I've never coded ASP been doing PHP for 3 years now, self thought, but this is exactly how I expected ASP to be.

It sounds exactly like MS's loose implementation of HTML in IE. You end up with loads of people, coding things, lots of different wrong and inefficient ways, because it works. It just encourages bad programing and bad coders. And then there is all the $$$ associated with running ASP (+ MSSQL) app's compared to PHP (+ MySQL) ones

Not that PHP and PHP dev's aren't without there problems but they don't encourage it.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
A lot of the time I find people are actually comparing the .net framework to php .. as well the as tools you've got from M$.

Once you get yourself a decent editor / ide (eclipse / zend) and a proper framework (zend / cakephp) and begin developing properly I think a lot of asp developers would be amazed at the power of php.

Personally I'm trying to get up and running with asp ... but its the old ... how many hours are there in the day question :)

rooneydavid

You cant compare .NET to PHP, .NET is 10 times more powerful. Not to mention that it is a platform for developing applications and web based applications. PHP is a language not a platform.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
You cant compare .NET to PHP, .NET is 10 times more powerful. Not to mention that it is a platform for developing applications and web based applications. PHP is a language not a platform.

never said it was :) and hope thats not what people read into what I was saying

What php frameworks are people using for development ? :)

TheMenace

This typical MS BS. I've never coded ASP been doing PHP for 3 years now, self thought, but this is exactly how I expected ASP to be.

In fairness there are just as many (probably more) poorly coded PHP sites out there as there are ASP sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.