Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
This forum has been going for a couple of months now, but the membership level has been quite slow to grow.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more members I'd love to hear them

georgiecasey

Post on digitalpoint and webmasterworld advertising the forum. thats what id do.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still toying with the idea of using the other domains that I bought for this... a nice little 301 redirect would make it all quite painless :)

Cormac

maybe you could approach a few sites/newspapers and offer to write some articles on SEO or Hosting or "insert tehnology" for their site/paper in return for a credit and a referral to your site?

Silicon Republic, Irish Times......Playboy....

georgiecasey

how many domains do you have blacknight??! its handy that there's still loads of cool .ie domains left because of the beuracracy (spelling?)

i'll have to pick up a few of 'em

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Rollo said:
maybe you could approach a few sites/newspapers and offer to write some articles on SEO or Hosting or "insert tehnology" for their site/paper in return for a credit and a referral to your site?

Silicon Republic, Irish Times......Playboy....
Playboy would be fun :)

I already write for PC Live..

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
georgiecasey said:
how many domains do you have blacknight??! its handy that there's still loads of cool .ie domains left because of the beuracracy (spelling?)

I've a growing number of .ie. .com, eu, .co.uk and some other bizarre extensions personally, while the company owns a silly number of domains across a very wide range of extensions

Cormac

In my opinion a move to another domain would probably gather more interest. Using a subdomain from a search engine is a bit misleading. Many people could very easily dismiss it as an exclusive tech support resource for users of the search site.

You could rather easily merge your speed test site with your webmaster forum, take a lot of your blog content and create the most extensive Internet users website in Ireland.

Redirect all over the shop then!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Oh God :)
That sounds painful

To make it all the more "interesting" the speed test is a company property, whereas a lot of the other ones aren't...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Though ... the separate domain for this discussion forum might not be such a bad idea... It would need a new logo though, which means gently persuading someone to do it for me *sigh*

Cormac

what other domains do you have that relate to weby stuff? I'm not talking about your conspiracy site www.parker-is-spiderman.ie

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a few:
isquattedyour.eu
isquattedyour.ie
browse.ie
blogging.ie
talkdomains.eu
irishwebmasterforum.com
webhostingtalk.ie
technicaljobs.ie

Cormac

one thing you can do, but i think it's a dodgy tactic, is to make the forum private so that you can only view threads if you're signed in.

A rival to one of my forums introduces this tactic for about a week every month just to get the numbers up on his "online today" section. Pretty childish imo.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well I've changed the forum's domain, though I still haven't got a new logo for it yet....

I may try one of those cheapo logo design sites :D

georgiecasey

i need a new logo for my site, but all I can find are people charging over €150. give us a shout if you find some cheap indian, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.