Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
From what I can gather, after articles in the Indo and herald in relation to Katy French and her passing, named them they saw a huge spike in traffic and H365 pulled the plug.

Someone in blacknight then stepped in and has offered them a free server and presumably lots of bandwidth, which is where they now reside.

Thats what I've gathered from a few comments here and there on blogs.

Anyone have any more details? Michele?

CiaranR

Its to do with comments on some of the posts on their site, the Indo article is here Critics silenced as stars flock to Katy’s Bebo tribute page - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

There was a post on the home page of beaut.ie suggesting it was a bandwidth exceeded issue at H365 for about 30 mins before they came back up but there may have been more to it.

Quote from Aphrodite on Fatmammycat.com: Katy French has died.

The articles in the herald and the indo for the last two days about evil beaut.ie would have been hilarious were they not a pretence to wring yet one more story out of the poor girls death.

We're down because of total incompetence on the part of Hosting365.

Oh its been a great week

Gavin

Haha classic.

I don't work in H365 so I cant say what happen but my guess is that their spike in traffic brought other sites on the shared server to its knees so...

We're down because of total incompetence on the part of Hosting365.

Nah I would blame the fact on beaut.ie being so cheap and not willing to splash out on a dedicated server. :rolleyes:

CiaranR

Nah I would blame the fact on beaut.ie being so cheap and not willing to splash out on a dedicated server. :rolleyes:

Yea but why buy one when you can have "a (black)knight in shining armour" help you out with a complimentary one.

To be honest they may not have known they needed one.

hosting365

Not going to comment other than to say they did know they needed dedicated and we'd been telling them the same for weeks. Unfortunately, the spike of traffic around the katy french issue brought a shared sql server to it's knees (and trust me it's not a lightweight) and we had no choice but to invoke our AUP to protect the other customers.

The choice to move host was the customers.

louie

Originally Posted by Gavin
Nah I would blame the fact on beaut.ie being so cheap and not willing to splash out on a dedicated server.
Why would you get a dedicated server when you can have more bandwidth made available to you at an extra cost?
Yea but why buy one when you can have "a (black)knight in shining armour" help you out with a complimentary one.

To be honest they may not have known they needed one.

They probably failed to receive / reply the email regarding the host running out of "space"...

hosting365

It wasnt a space or a bandwidth issue, but rather a CPU / Database Load issue that was impacting other customers. We even phoned them several times.

I'm not going to comment further as the site owners have already threatened legal action.

louie

I totally agree with you hosting365, and you probably played by the book, but every now and than is better to look at the big picture and give a little.

If you seat back and look into the situation, you probably would have found a solution for it without the "power off" and lose of a customer...

Do you know how many times I do things for my customers for nothing...
Sometimes you gain more than you give in the long run...

hosting365

I agree with you too Louie, but in this case we didn't terminate, we suspended database access as they were killing the server - the option was still there even at that point to move to a more appropriate solution.

CiaranR

Have to agree with louie, sounds like they (beaut) didn't understand the issues at hand. I don't think the power off idea (in their eyes anyway) is worth the bad publicity to you

Quote from commenter on this thread

There had been problems with the site for weeks and it had gradually been getting slower and slower. It was only a week or two ago that Kirstie asked us to catalogue the problems in a post. I’d say she showed all the complaints to the server company and the tossers just decided to pull the plug. Thankfully Beaut is back and even better than before!

rooneydavid

I completely agree with H365 suspending the SQL access, it is the only thing you can do in a case like that. Well until you can investigate the issue. With any server (unless dedicated) if a process is bringing any element of the server to its knees, kill the process to save the rest of the accounts. If your site was crippled because of another sites, you would be straight on the phone screaming for a solution.

It is a classic case of people wanting the highest spec for the least possible money. At least now it is on a Blacknight server.

@ H365 : You should read the following, Beaut.ie Blather: Hurrayday! at Beaut.ie - The Irish Beauty Blog Cosmetics, Makeup, Skincare, DIY, For Men, Health and Wellbeing, Horoscopes

Sorry Frodo got there before me with the link! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.