Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanovitch

Hi, first post.

I'm working on my first project for my web design diploma and need to find a host. (domain registered with 365).

I intend to build a few sites with different domain names over the next year and am looking for as much storage, bandwith and reliability as possible for as little as posssible.

I've heard bad things about support at 365 so feel I should look elsewhere.

Is there any one (pref Irish) hosting company that stands out or are they all much of a muchness.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

peterarmstrong

Glad to hear you are looking for an Irish company.

When you are comparing webhosting packages take into consideration that some offer student discount which might save you quite a bit.

Sinead Hanley

I use Spiral Hosting for all my hosting packages - Like you I started out as a Student and found them very helpful. I think they may have a specific student package but definately offer student discounts on their other packages as well. Peter there is very professional and helpful - nothing is ever a bother - you chould check them out.

ivanovitch

I use Spiral Hosting for all my hosting packages - Like you I started out as a Student and found them very helpful. I think they may have a specific student package but definately offer student discounts on their other packages as well. Peter there is very professional and helpful - nothing is ever a bother - you chould check them out.

They look interesting...thanks!:)

Here's a how long is a piece of string question...

My initial project site is six pages, contains fifty small JPEGs and (in time) will generate a hundred page views a day.

By the end of the year I expect to have a portfolio of six web sites - each slightly more sophisticated (and busier) than the last.

In your experience will 20GB be enough to see out the twelve months?

Sinead Hanley

That's difficult to say but Peter in Spiral Hosting should be able to advise. It would really depend on the size of each of the jpegs and also, I think there are free bandwidth calculators if you google them. Hope that helps

katman

You can't go wrong with Blacknight either... Reliable, affordable, good service and a good choice of packages. I find them excellent.

Blacknight only have microsoft servers, right? Aren't linux servers cheaper, faster, and less likely to crash (because they're open source systems)?

A

Alan

Happy to also recommend Blacknight.

I have an account with them and they are second to none.

ivanovitch

Okay. I've been asking around and the most popular seems to be letshost.ie.

I've visited their site and it appears that I can only host one domain per package @ €40.00 pa.

According to your site Blacknight I can host up to 30 different domains on one account for €50.00 per annum. Is this right?

Also, are you going to charge me to transfer the one registered domain I already own? If so, how much.

In terms of support (given I'm a student and have very little real life experience of FTP and site management) are you guys going to be there for me when I F@%K it up?

Sell it to me man!:)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
According to your site Blacknight I can host up to 30 different domains on one account for €50.00 per annum. Is this right?
Yes
Also, are you going to charge me to transfer the one registered domain I already own? If so, how much.
It depends on the domain extension
In terms of support (given I'm a student and have very little real life experience of FTP and site management) are you guys going to be there for me when I F@%K it up?

Our technical support team are able to assist where they can - email them directly if you have any questions
Sell it to me man!:)
This is not the appropriate place for this.
If you want to email us or ring us please do

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
What's the process for relocating it to you? It's with 365 at the moment.
It's not complicated. If you've any queries contact our sales team (sales@blacknight.com)

As this isn't a Blacknight forum I'd have to ban myself if I said much more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.