Status
Not open for further replies.

William Jenkins

Hi Folks,

I was wondering what sources you would recommend for the advertisement of a new tech start-up? Any particular start-up magazines or forums?

link8r

Advertising and promoting aren't always the same thing. Advertising is always promoting but promoting doesn't mean advertising. Advertising is paid and can be done anywhere online and offline. A lot of people have a problem in telling the different between the two.

If you're raising funding then list your self on the crowd sourcing sites like Kickstarter and so on.

If it's web-tech, then most forums are good.

If it's innovative, then try to get into the online tech journals like TechCrunch.

Talk to bloggers

Social Media is a good place to learn and watch how startups promote themselves. Selfish self promotion is easily spotted, learn before you try!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
PR and content make a big difference
If you start spamming forums, mailing lists or Twitter you'll get blocked / banned etc.,
Advertising - depends who your target market is
I can't see any point in advertising to other startups - they're not your target market. You need to target your potential customers

William Jenkins

Advertising and promoting aren't always the same thing. Advertising is always promoting but promoting doesn't mean advertising. Advertising is paid and can be done anywhere online and offline. A lot of people have a problem in telling the different between the two

I appreciate that, in this case I meant promoting the website then.

Our advertising we will be based on Social Media. LinkedIn and FB

Thanks for the replies so far, keep em' coming!

Cheers,

Will

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Without knowing who your target customer is it's really impossible to suggest anything

William Jenkins

Thanks for the reply Blacknight.

We are a SSL and Code signing certificate re-seller, which means our target customers would be e-commerce websites, financial institutes, web developers, hosting companies such as yourselves etc.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Then you probably want to be looking at the kind of publications that attract that readership ..
Financial institutions - doubt they'd buy from a reseller - they're more likely to go directly to a CA

cssbutton

As startup, forum related to your niche will be great, because there are a lot of customers on forum, who will be interested in the product

Status
Not open for further replies.