Blogs for Dummies on Wordpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

I'm new to wordpress & I'm trying to place a 'blog' in my main nav bar ie: as a page!

Am I right in saying > category posts are my blog?

If so, how can I combine all posts so they appear as one blog in my nav bar? Do I need to install a blogroll / widget or somtn...

Thanks in advance.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean?

Sorry, but I'm having issues understanding what you are trying to do exactly

K

Kieran

Here is the traditional way of doing this.

1. Create a Category for your Blog posts - call it Blog if you wish. In the Dashboard select Posts -> Categories -> Add New Category
  2. When you write future posts you then assign this category to your posts.
  3. Then you can choose to have a static page as your front page and select which pages your posts go to by going to Dashboard Settings -> Reading. Here you select which page is the new WP front page and which page you want Posts to go into when you write them.
  4. Create a blank page with the Posts page and future posts will then go into this page
  5. Create a new page with your new CMS front page and add your static content

If you then want a menu item on your page to have this Blog link then you do the following

First you need to create this menu

• Appearance -> Menus
  • Click in Menu Name
  • Name the Menu
  • On the Left side of the Menu Dashboard you Will see Categories
  • Drag The Blog Categroy to the Menu
  • Save the Menu
  • In the Primary Menu Select from the dropdown list the new menu that has the Blog category in it
  • Click Save

If you want to add to the menu you can add additional Pages to the menu from this menu option above.

Hope this makes sense.

Kieran

bober

Cheers Thanks,

@Kieran I'll kinda get what you mean, I've almost suused it now (for example my home page glenquinn site is exactly how I want the blog to appear) *but as a page 'blog' I plan to have a staitc homepage :) I'll look into it later today, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.