Bridging woes ... should I bother at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahal

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new noob, so please go easy if this is in the wrong place. I've been going nuts for quite some time trying to bridge my PHPBB 3.06 forums with Coppermine V.1.4. I keep getting locked out of coppermine after install. My head is done in with settings, emailing digiweb, and everything else. I got the PHP directory bit, it seems 'relative path' is where it keeps going boobies up.

I then happened to go on a fairly big forum ( VBulliten - based ) that I've been a member of for years ... they got hacked through the gallery it would seem, and had been offline for a full week because even their backups were corrupted. My coppermine gallery does everything I want it to, it just goes awry when I try to bridge. Bearing in mind the above example of hacking, might I be better off avoiding it altogether, this bridging lark, and keeping the gallery and forums seperate?

Basically I'm happy enough to have a nice picture on the 'gallery' section of the forum that's clickable. I'm NOT trying to integrate the gallery into the actual forum page ( that means changing templates, and with my knowledge well is best left alone ). The main attraction was to have a single registration for the site and gallery, plus redirect back to the forum.

Any opinions most welcomed.

Thanks,

Tony.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea about doing it with phpbb - haven't used in years

With Vbulletin there are a number of photo gallery applications that are compatible and you can easily hook them in without losing your mind

In terms of hacks etc., - the main problem here is that if you're going to use software you need to keep it up to date. If you don't you will pay the price!

ahal

Thanks Blacknight :)

I basically tried Joomla but it wrecked my head, then spent a week googling in order to find out about phpbb so my head can take no more. Everyone says that VBulliten is the doggies thingies, though sadly my economic level is somewhat on a par with a Gamine child at the moment, so phpbb it is for the moment anyway.

There is of course another possibility, taking your good point about keeping stuff up to date. Got an email from my host today regarding infection via 'Gumblar' and 'Martuz' viruses. I get a bit of a sinking feeling about this, because not so long ago they did some tidying for me: "Your software has written some funny code to the database". Oops, fingers crossed ...

I'm delighted to find this forum, didn't realize the 'scene' was buzzing so much here :)

Thanks again,

Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.