Can anyone recommend a good mobile broadband access provider in Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjd461

Hi all
I will be moving a lot in the near future, with very limited access to home internet. So i am looking for any recommendations please, such as those USB things for mobile internet access. I hear that skype is not available in some of them, and that would be a requirement for me.
Any help please?
Regards
Brian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a Vodafone USB dongle which works pretty well.
I tend to use wifi in hotels etc., whenever I can, as it usually works out cheaper.
Of course your cost will vary quite a bit depending on what you are doing
If you have a Smartphone eg. iPhone you could use Skype or one of the alternative on that. Some will work fine over 3G, though most work best on WIFI

link8r

I have a Vodafone Mi-Fi - its free on Contract, €13 per month for 5GB and €19 for 10Gb - its much faster than the dongle (you can position it wherever you get the best signal its slightly bigger) and you can hang 5 wireless devices (e.g. your phone, laptop, ipad) off of it. It's awesome and its battery powered.

Like BK, I tend to use wifi but there are so many hotels that charge, require registration or it just doesn't work and it rarely extends to meeting rooms (some hotels are exceptionally good and some are just so bad). Also, when visiting clients or other companies, they often don't have wifi, don't have anyone who can give access and in one instance, they don't even know where the wifi box is (seriously). Having the wifi means that wherever I am, I can enable web access for me, my colleagues and the client.

It has to be one of the best products (considering the 10GB limit, price and signal) in mobile broadband since the first 3G Dongles.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Also, when visiting clients or other companies, they often don't have wifi, don't have anyone who can give access and in one instance, they don't even know where the wifi box is (seriously). Having the wifi means that wherever I am, I can enable web access for me, my colleagues and the client.
You'd love our offices so :)

100 meg symmetrical dualstack a couple of hops from INEX

bjd461

OK, thanks all.
Vodafone gets a few mentions, but i didnt think much of their USB dongle. I wasnt aware of their Mi-Fi, so thanks for pointing that one out, i must check it out.
Cheers
Brian

link8r

OK, thanks all.
Vodafone gets a few mentions, but i didnt think much of their USB dongle. I wasnt aware of their Mi-Fi, so thanks for pointing that one out, i must check it out.
Cheers
Brian

Ah the power of re:branding. AFAIK, and please someone add to this, the only two modems I've come across since 2003 are either Huawei (mostly, vodafone) and Sierra. I did have an O2 Sierra for a week, which definitely was a little faster on the get go but the signal was crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.