Cloud Hosting for ecommerce site

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavey

Firstly Hello and this is my first post so forgive me if I've got it in the wrong place or somehow messed up :distrust:

Just to set the scene. I am not in anyway technical but along with a (very patient) freelance web designer have built a really lovely site on a Magento Perfect White theme which has about 800 products on it. (I suppose just to say I haven't really built anything but have entered all the products etc). Up until a month ago I was on a shared server and had a cache plug-in. However the cache plug-in broke a few months ago and to cut a long story short was making the admin side of things impossible. At this point my web designer advised me to go to cloud. I did this and experienced a good few problems in the first week or so due to the emails and SSL remaining on the old server (which then had a 6 monthly upgrade). Since then the site has gone down quite a bit (I'm on a Cloud 2 plan 40GB disk space 1024MB RAM 1000GB transfer). The server went down yesterday for 5 hours-partly due to the fact I couldn't get to send a ticket in to the hosts to tell them. Anyway I know I need to do two of three things

1) Move to Cloud 3 (60GB disk space 1536MB RAM 1500GB transfer) with a view to having to continue to move up
2) Get someone in to tune the server to allow for better performance of the site
3) Move the hosting to a UK based hosting company who offer expert Magento set-up

So the thing is which first? Also who do I get to look at the server and how much is this going to cost me? (just to say at this point I haven't even generated enough income to pay for the build yet and will probably be looking at a new build in the next year or so down to the fact my site isn't responsive). Can I move it to a UK based cloud server??? If so how would this affect my SEO?? (btw I have noticed a big improvement in google rankings since my move to cloud which has been a big upside to all the worry I have had)

HELP! But bear in mind I (and my web developer) don't have the skills to start messing about with the server so I suppose really just advice on who to approach or where to go would be great.

Sorry for such a long first post and thanks in advance for your help :joyous:

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Tuning the site's setup is probably your best option.
If it's not setup properly ie. caching and optimised etc., then you'll have to keep upgrading without actually fixing the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.