Status
Not open for further replies.

paulocon

Hi,

I have a website with a pretty niche audience that is serving around 200k valid Page Impressions Per Month. I was using Google Adwords on the website but Clickthrough is quite small. I would like to go the CPM route - anyone have any experience in this or can recommend any companies?

paul

Ninja
I assume you mean AdSense ... Have you tried to optimize your layout to increase your CTR ? You mention page impressions, do you have stats for unique visitors ? Traffic sources breakdowns, how much is organic ? What type of site do you have ? Forum / Blog / info site ?

CPM is very niche related, what is your niche (if you don't mind) ? Have you been approached by companies to display ads before ? Maybe you could try and sell some ads directly yourself to see how that goes ?

AdBrite has CPM : AdBrite - How AdBrite Works

paulocon

Paul,

Trying to move away from AdSense to be honest - I don't think it is performing too well given the level of traffic I have. It has it's place (have it on other sites) but I don't think it is for this particluar site.

I will have a look at AdBrite..

paulocon

Sorry - the niche is Photography and we have built up quite an active community in a relatively short amount of time

Redfly

I would go with Tribal Fusion. Their admin interface is still 1991 but they have the highest paying CPM offers. They are VERY difficult to get into.

Also, with volume you might want to chain your networks. Our chain is as follows:

Tribal Fusion >> Burst >> CPX

(CPX pay low but fill100% inventory).

Hope that helps.

paulocon

Redfly - thanks for that. When you say chain, I presume there is some way of running concurrent campaigns to ensure ad-space is always populated?

Redfly

Most CPM networks allow you to use a default network in the even the inventory is not filled. It then serves the ad code you supplied for another network. You can chin them together as many times as you need. (But there are only so many networks)

paulocon

redfly,

just to follow up on your post - I've been playing around with a few CPM networks now.

I know this is a very open question (and depends on niche etc) but what would the average CPM rates be out there? Is this question even possible to enter. Saw some laughable eCPM rates from some publishers so just wondering am I expecting too much...

Redfly

redfly,

just to follow up on your post - I've been playing around with a few CPM networks now.

I know this is a very open question (and depends on niche etc) but what would the average CPM rates be out there? Is this question even possible to enter. Saw some laughable eCPM rates from some publishers so just wondering am I expecting too much...

It completely depends. First off, it will depend on the pool of advertisers for your market. If you run a MySpace resource site, you are going to get crappy ringtone advertisers paying pennies. If you are running a forum about applying for a mortgage with 20k uniques a day, you're in for a MUCH higher CPM.

Then there is the network. Tribal Fusion for example have minimum rates and a minimum spend of $20000 a month I believe. They also only select sites on a manual review basis.

Then there are networks that allow you to set your own minimum CPM where you can only serve ads at that rate or higher (TF). When inventory is full, it gets passed on to the next network in the chain.

Then there is volume. Again, depending on your market and traffic, you are going to run out of ads to be served. Then what? Then you have to settle for the pennies. Thats where CPX and adbrite come into play.

I hope that has helped. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

paulocon

redfly,

many thanks for that response.

the site I have is pretty niche (digital photography) and have built up a nice community. Currently not enough traffic for tribal fusion etc (1k unique users per day 5-10k Page Impressions per day) so I've been playing around with the likes of AdBrite, RMX etc but with very low payouts.

I suppose the main thing for me to concentrate on is growing my traffic to the level where I can apply to the likes of Tribal Fusion, Burst etc.

Again, thanks for your excellent reply...

paul

Ninja
It might be worth trying auction ads (maybe not on every page) but I am sure that people do look to ebay for buying photography gear.

paulocon

paul,

not familiar with auction ads but it is something I will look into. I assume this is like an affiliation with ebay etc?

paul

addoc

Paulo

1k unique hits per day for a niche site.
How many cpm adds would you have on there, and how much would expect for cpm.
Do you have photo related affiliates on it aswell?

In general what would someoene do it 1k - 10k hits on their webiste.
How many cpm adds are feasible on athe hompage w/o it looking ridiulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.