David Norris launches a website for his presidential bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

David Norris has launched a site for his candidacy in the Irish presidential election, which will take place later this year.

So what do we think of the site folks? I think bigger text with higher contrast is one change that should be made for starters.

UPDATE, MAY 2011: THE SITE HAS BEEN REVAMPED SINCE THIS POST.

link8r

He was a useless part of a useless state organ - the Senate has no power/use. Yay that they caught a mistake by the Dail but seriously, far bigger issues go through the Dail.

Now he wants to be apart of another useless part of the state. Sure, he'll be president. But its ceremonial. Why would you want to?

The idea that its the highest honour - its the highest state honour? Doubtful, not in my opinion.

Creating jobs, making a change and a difference and empowering people = greater honour.

The president of Ireland does at the Dail and Ministers tell them to.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the site will be revamped before the campaign kicks off properly.

The current site is not exactly stellar

@Link8r I would have to strongly disagree with pretty much your entire post.

link8r

oh ok, I didn't realise you had studied the constitution - well done.

What do you think of the role of president in Ireland?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The presidential role has never been fully explored. Mary Robinson did push it out quite a bit, but most people who get elected are happy to lie back on their laurels
But that's fine.
The role of the president in our constitution is quite limited intentionally.
The actual power lies elsewhere

link8r

To be fair, I bashed the Function/Role of the Presidency and the Seanad, not the people who occupy them.

Isn't removing the Seanad altogether currently a part of Fianna Gael's election campaign? Isn't Fianna Fail examining the same option?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, I bashed the Function/Role of the Presidency and the Seanad, not the people who occupy them.

Isn't removing the Seanad altogether currently a part of Fianna Gael's election campaign? Isn't Fianna Fail examining the same option?
I would support reform of the Seanad
I would strongly oppose any plans to remove it.
A bicameral system is needed

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
But only in federal states (Australia, USA, Germany) - Unitary states like Ireland often don't have 2. Many are unicameral, as are most EU States List of European Union member states by political system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia like Luxembourg, Finland, Denmark, Sweden - who all seem to be going ok :)
That's incorrect
The more important economies are bicameral.
I've always thought that a bicameral government made a lot more sense, as it means there is some chance of the idiots in the first house being blocked or slowed down

Our senators generally speaking have been a lot more able than our TDs
And the independent senators seem to have more power / voice than the independent TDs do

Status
Not open for further replies.