Dedicated server and custom installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdenWeb

I want to install a Video streaming app/server. I imagine this will mean having a dedicated server that I can have complete virtual access to.

What would be the costs and options available?
Most of the dedicated server hosting seems to cost anywhere from 2 to 5 K per annum.

Is an option to buy a Dell server myself and have a Hosting company host and manage it for me?

Do any hosting companies offer once-off fees for this?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Is an option to buy a Dell server myself and have a Hosting company host and manage it for me?

I know Blacknight does this as a client opted for this option before and just plugged in two of their servers. I'd guess hosting365 offer the same. Therefore you're only paying for rental of the space / bandwidth. However if something ends up going wrong with the server you'll be the one suffering because of the downtime not the hosting company as the hardware is no longer anything to do with them ? And any SLA would be between your client and you so hardware failure would be your fault and any resulting downtime. At least if you've an SLA with the hosting company and the hardware dies they'll have to have it up and running asap (I assume)

(just some thoughts)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There isn't a huge difference in price between colo and lower end dedicated servers, though dedicated means that the hosting company will have some level of responsibility for the hardware.

The other option to consider would be a VPS, which would offer you more control than a shared hosting account while costing less than a dedicated server

ConorP

I want to install a Video streaming app/server. I imagine this will mean having a dedicated server that I can have complete virtual access to.

What would be the costs and options available?
Most of the dedicated server hosting seems to cost anywhere from 2 to 5 K per annum.

Do any hosting companies offer once-off fees for this?

Depending on where you plan on serving your content to you should consider looking abroad for dedicated servers. BW is expensive enough here in Ireland.

firmaterra

if you're looking at dedicated hosting in Ireland forget it. Way overpriced for what you get IMO. Go overseas. Even better go to america. You'll get dedicated hosting cheaper, and the exchange rate will give you added bang for your buck.
In my experience dedicated hosting here will cost you at least 30% more than what it'll cost you in the US.

Wild Thing

I am a firm beleiver in you pay for what you get, costs versus downtme/security. If those factors are not important then yes there are cheap solutions out there but you pay your money and take your chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.