Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on the directory.

They can make money, but there are a LOT of directories out there that don't

It depends on the niche that you choose.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Signup for an account (if you haven't done so already)

Have a poke around the adsense forum:
http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/google-adsense/

which has a lot of threads on the subject

Think of adsense as an extension to SEO.

If your site is optimised for SEO, then you should get relevant ads.

For example, this site gets loads of adsense ads related to the site's topics (as you may have noticed)

You can also get a couple of extensions for Firefox that will show you what type of ads are likely to be displayed on a page

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers BN.. Is there an referral scheme before I sign up? I can use your sign-up code if there is one.. and it benefits in any way..

There's an advert on here (look to your right :) )

I think cracking the irish directory market might be a bit easier, so I shall work my black-belt-in-seo kung fu skills on that, however feel free to dominate those markets yourself and let us know how u get on ;)

It's a small market. If you can do something original then you might be able to grab some of it ... who knows..
edit: oooh ITRADER. I demand all of your kudos points immediately for my friday attempts at wit :)

We'll have to see about that :p

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I signed up and used your link BN (hope we both get rich, but you probably are already ) I am now "under consideration".. let the dollars roll in :)
They usually approve accounts within a couple of working days.

In the meantime I'd recommend you have a look at some of the other monetisation stuff on here and don't forget to actually build your content :)

Fintan

With regard to directories, I'm sitting on 2 domain names that are ripe for a directory. (very niche, very competitive market for suppliers)

What script / software would people recommend to create an SEO friendly link directory?

Cheers

Fintan

Fintan

It depends on how comfortable you are with hacking code to customise them

Ideally I'm looking for something that is as simple as possible to set-up that requires no hacking.

I personally wouldn't be able to change any code, but do have people who help me out with that side of things.

So really I'm just looking for suggestions of what people have used in the past and then I'll go kick some tyres.

Actually something like this seems like exactly what im looking for
WP Link Directory - eBrand Marketing

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
That wordpress plugin looks pretty good

I've used (and still use) a lot of different solutions over the years.

Gossamer Threads, Indexu, Phpdirectory to name but a couple.

The things to look out for are templating and custom options. Some of the better solutions make the templates easy to control, whereas with others you need to deal with a lot of rubbish to achieve a simple result

Fintan

Yep, I have used a few off the shelf scripts in the past, and customising the template was always the issue.

I think I will give the word press plug-in a go to start with and then look at my options down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.