Status
Not open for further replies.

fabcards

Hi All

I have recently launched my greeting card website and would love soem feedback on it...
Fab Cards

Also can anyone suggest good ways of advertising..budget is tight at present

Thanks
Grainne

paul

Ninja
Google AdWords or an affiliate program would be a good way to start. Nice cards !

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I'll assume no budget ...

Set up a blog on there :)

Look into some mod rewrite stuff for oscommerce (changing the nasty url structure you've got in place around) ... I ran into major difficulty getting it up and running on another site I was doing using oscommerce :(

Signatures on here .. and on boards.ie

(don't get too spammy but it'll help)

and so on ...

Get rid of the English flag on there for language options ... you're not giving irish as an alternative .. so get rid of it

Just a few thoughts ..

your own designs btw or ?

n3tFl0w

Your images are pretty poor - The header and footer gifs in particular. Apart from that - Its a recoloured oscommerce default theme, so you can't really go wrong. Though I would make the changes that Forbairt mentions.

companyhotseat

Fabcards website

Hi,

You have a great range of cards and the prices seem very attractive however I think there are some slight aesthetic issues on the front page of your site.

Firstly its a big no no to have times new roman on your logo... If you dont have time to do a good logo at the moment even use the same one and chage the font as a temporary measure. Also the quality of your logo is not good you can see the outline of picture and text. You also use times new roman size 12 on some of the pages, again try another font.

Trying using some animated giffs on your front page, you have a great selection of cards so you should not have problem finding some good ones to use.

As mentioned by others previously get rid of the union jack there if you are not offering other languages, it looks unprofessional.

Are you using a secure server for payments. If your not you should be as people wont use your site for this reason alone. If you are indicate this on your site.

Hope this was helpfull.

James

Forbairt

Firstly its a big no no to have times new roman on your logo... If you dont have time to do a good logo at the moment even use the same one and chage the font as a temporary measure.

Really ?

Don't actually think I've ever heard that before ...

Doesn't look too bad to me ? and only uses Times New Roman

effect

people assume Times is a no no, but thats only because of its widespread use, being a default typeface in word. For this reason alone, I would rarely if ever use it, there are other fonts out there, but Times in itself is an excellent typeface.

Forbairt

I find in print it looks quite well :) on screen not so much for text but as you said its down to how we've been conditioned to have it as a default font.

I'd probably choose Garmond over it any day ... but if you're going for the times new roman look then it can look quite good.

Out of curiosity I even changed one of my old logos to use Times New Roman and I'd honestly be happy if someone gave it to me.

still DaFont or similar have a nice selection of mostly free fonts if you don't have a budget or a nice set that came with a package.

(is it just me or are mac users spoiled with the default set ? or was it just a case that CS3 had a load with it ? )

n3tFl0w

(is it just me or are mac users spoiled with the default set ? or was it just a case that CS3 had a load with it ? )

Yes - Some nicefonts in there. But MS added some nice new fonts to the default set in Vista too. Can't think of their names off the top of my head though - calibri is one, i think?

babyboy808

Really ?

Don't actually think I've ever heard that before ...

Doesn't look too bad to me ? and only uses Times New Roman

A font that's used as much as Time Roman in a logo is not exactly memorable now is it? The logo on fab Cards is bog standard and doesn't help their image one bit! Even though yours Forbairt is aesthetically pleasing, it is not a logo imho.

fabcards

Thanks for the feedback
Ill have to play around with my font to see if i can improve the logo

I dont have a ssl certificate...am processing all payments thru paypal.Do you think i shoudl still have a ssl certificate?

As for the union jack in langauages i cant seem to get rid of it...English is the only language option i have and in oscommerce i cant see how i can remove this language section from the right hand side.I tried renaming the image itself but that dosnt work as the image just appears to be missing...need to figure out how to remove the langauge section altogether

Forbairt

A font that's used as much as Time Roman in a logo is not exactly memorable now is it? The logo on fab Cards is bog standard and doesn't help their image one bit! Even though yours Forbairt is aesthetically pleasing, it is not a logo imho.

I've no problem with it being / not being a logo ... was more an example to show that it doesn't have to look EEK .. :)

I dont have a ssl certificate...am processing all payments thru paypal.Do you think i shoudl still have a ssl certificate?

What user information are you storing belonging to the users ?
Normally once people see SSL they think ... ah this is secure its ok to proceed ... so its a little extra incentive to use your shop

As for the union jack in langauages i cant seem to get rid of it...English is the only language option i have and in oscommerce i cant see how i can remove this language section from the right hand side.I tried renaming the image itself but that dosnt work as the image just appears to be missing...need to figure out how to remove the langauge section altogether

I think the easiest way to remove it may be to edit your language include file and comment it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.