Do you spend too much time in front of your computer?

Discussion in 'Work / Life Balance' started by frakilk, Aug 28, 2006.

?

Do you spend too much time in front of a computer?

1. Yes, yes, yes, I have a problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I have it under control

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. grandad

grandad Moderator

Am I the only one to vote No here? Or am I the only dishonest one?

Self employed, so the amount of time at the screen is dictated by workload. I start at 9 [or whenever I wake, whichever is the earliest], and generally knock off between 5 and 6. At that stage I've usually had enough.

I used to play a lot of games, but got bored with them in the end. Now it is work only, with the odd bit of surfing and online shopping. Too much else to do, like fighting with Herself, kicking the dog and screaming abuse at the telly. I used to go for the occasional pint but the Health Mafia put a stop to that. [One of these years, I guarantee they'll discover smoking is actually good for you]...

2. louie

louie New Member

It looks like it or as you said you might be "dishonest".

3. grandad

grandad Moderator

Me? Dishonest? How dare you! Now excuse me while I go back to my game of Solitaire....

4. Gavin

Gavin New Member

I spend way too much time on the PC.

From 9-5 I work online and from 6-2am I am online working for myself. I find it difficult to get time for food shopping and even more difficult for time to cook, thankfully there is a chipper next door.

And I wonder why my ex dumped me :(

Baahh and Im still not rich....yet.

5. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

Let's see....

I turn on my pc first thing in the morning, as soon as I fall out of bed.
    Make coffee and drink it while checking mails, blogging and editing search.ie or looking at the Blacknight Support Desk
    Work from 9-6 in front of PC. I sometimes take a cigarette break, but I normally don't take a normal lunch break..
    Home around 6 and then it varies ... Maybe a few more hours, or maybe DVDs / TV with a nice cold beer (or 3)

6. gothwalk

gothwalk New Member

Weekdays, usually:

07:00-07:30, Morning Email and News Check
    09:00-17:30, Work
    19:00-23:00, World of Warcraft or other MMO/Game, or writing.

I do get away from the bitstream for D&D games and a few other social pursuits, and at the weekends... but seeing as my whole household follows this kind of routine, nobody complains.

7. Cormac

Cormac New Member

bed
    work 9 - 5 on pc
    home 7 - 10 on pc
    bed
    (get up in the middle of the night and bench press 5,000, write some poems, brew my own wine, donate some money to some charity)
    bed again

^
    stick all that in a while loop for monday to friday

8. ButtermilkJack

ButtermilkJack New Member

At the moment it's on the Mac in work from 8:30 - 5:00 and then again at home from around 6:30 to 11:00/12:00. :(

All that is about to change however, as I've handed in my notice and shall be self-employed from January. :D Please god I'll be able to get the W/L balance right from the start...

9. mneylon

You won't :D

10. ButtermilkJack

ButtermilkJack New Member

LOL, I know... wishful thinking I suppose!

11. Redfly

Redfly Moderator

Am I the only one who has it under control then?

12. mneylon

Dude it's gone 2am in your timezone.. I'd hardly call that "under control" :)

13. Redfly

Redfly Moderator

Well, some of us were up until noon drinking.
    Sheesh. Get over it mate. You're addicted to the internet. Just face it.

;)

14. rsynnott

rsynnott New Member

Between work, college, and random reading, yes, I have a problem :)

15. enzo

enzo New Member

I'd say I spend 12 hrs per day in front of a PC. give or take a couple of hours. There used to be days i'd spend 4-5 hours per night online after staring at a PC all day long at work. ****ing animal ****, it's so addictive.

16. grandad

grandad Moderator

Sadly, yes. I was down as "having things under control" but life has changed.

Having discovered the "delights" of blogging, thanks to Michele [it's always his fault], things have gone to pot. :eek:

17. workingonline

workingonline New Member

I work 7 hours a day, on and off, depends on what I am doing!

18. czajkowski

czajkowski New Member

hmm I don't sleep well so can be on-line in the middle of the night, but come 7:30am I'd definitely wide awake and on-line reading mails/blogs. Either at work using a PC or on-line if I can talk nicely to the IT ppl at work and get net access sorted out :D. home around 7 and on-line again or else downing things to read/watch :) My only other hobby outside of being on-line is being in a pub these days!.........need to get out more!!:eek:

19. submitshop

submitshop New Member

I do spend 14 hours mostly but sometimes it goes more............

20. irishwebmaster33

irishwebmaster33 New Member

Hi friend !
    i do not worry about how many time i spend in front of
    computer because i am not single and i not need to pass the time with the
    computer.