Does any Irish bank offer online credit card processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearaman

Hi All,
A client of mine has recently setup a merchant account with an Irish bank and got themselves a credit card processing machine. They have a site that sells goods and uses PayPal to process the credit card payments. They asked me if it was possible to now process their web purchases with the bank? I wasn't at all sure. Do ny Irish banks offer this kind of service? Sounds like something they should.
Thanks,
Bearaman

louie

Yes they do but you'll be better using Realex.ie

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If they have a merchant account for the physical machine it should be relatively easy to extend that to be an online merchant account. If they do that they'd need to use someone like Realex to handle the processing

ConorP

Depends on how many transactions you are/will be processing.

I've recently looked into the merchant account/realex thing and it turned out to be far too expensive for the amount that I would be processing.

And I was told since I was considered "high-risk" there is the possibility that the underwriters would want a deposit of between 8-12k first :eek:

bearaman

Thanks for the replies.
So the message seems to be stick with PayPal for now. It just seems amazing to me that this guy has the merchant account, the credit card processing machine but has to go elsewhere to process cards on the web.
On a sidenote, does PayPal have any plans to offer the website payments pro service to Europe? That's the one where you can pass credit card details back to them without leaving the site.
Thanks,
Bearaman

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You can already use the pro service with Paypal as far as I know. I think it's enabled on one of my accounts ....

louie

There is a very big difference between "in-house CC processing" and "on-line CC transactions".
On-line you are dealing with "Customer Not Present" situations, where the risk is very high unless you go for the 3D Secure type, which the down side is, it does not give the ability to take Laser cards.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There is a very big difference between "in-house CC processing" and "on-line CC transactions".
On-line you are dealing with "Customer Not Present" situations, where the risk is very high unless you go for the 3D Secure type, which the down side is, it does not give the ability to take Laser cards.

What are you on about?

louie

just outlining the difference between the two of them from my own experience to his comment:
It just seems amazing to me that this guy has the merchant account, the credit card processing machine but has to go elsewhere to process cards on the web.

bearaman

Interesting. I wasn't aware that PayPal Payments Pro was available to Irish customers. Can anybody confirm this? I have an Irish PayPal account and it doesn't seem to be an option on that at the moment. This would be a great feature to have as opposed to going to another site to process the payments.
Thanks,
Bearaman

vbezzina

Card processing in Ireland

Try out the Endeavour Payment Gateway. Check out the website at cardpaydirect.com. For small merchants the fees work out to be very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.