Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeem

doindublin.ie

Yeah, I know. Another event guide! Buuuut we think we got the mix right after looking at the alternatives out there.

We felt that answering the question 'What's on this weekend in Dublin' is harder than it should be so we came up with doindublin.ie

What makes us different from what's out there?

• Clutter free. Focus on what the user wants - events, dates, cost, location.
  • Minimal. Again reduce friction between "I want to do something" and "I found something to do!"
  • Submissions should be easy. We believe we made them so.
  • Visuals. Images are mandatory and we think this policy is win-win. For us it makes for a nicer site, for the event owner having an image increases interest 3000%*. (*I made that up, but a lot!)
  • Up to date and relevant. There's nothing more frustrating than clicking 'events this weekend' and getting some exhibition on viking ships that started 8 months ago. We're building filters so you seperate what's on now with longer running events and categories that appeal to broad demographics.

Did we get it right? Would really appreciate your feedback. :)

(NB: Privacy policy and cookie notice are in the pipeline).

Last edited:

link8r

Hey its not bad - good thinking on the zoomed out map showing everything inside the M50 - I really like that.

The font is a little 8-shots-of-esspresso - maybe a font that was a little more square (as wide as it is narrow) ? Just to calm it down a little?

Seems a little-two-tone- some change of colour for some headings - something to stand out?

Temperature icon - nice - clickable to get a forecast?

Ask >> hosting on IIS?

What are your plans with the site?

mikeem

Hi link8r, thanks for taking the time to reply.

* Yep, agreed. I've just gone in and reduced the font-size of the H1 tag to start. Right now there's some CSS conflicts as you can prob see (the sidebar headers spilling over the edge for example). I'll get to that over the next few days.
* I was thinking colour-coding different categories or changing the background to feature some kind of design at the least. Not too sure where to take this yet, I'll have to consider 'brand colours' etc. but noted.
* Weather icon - right now no, but that could happen. Hover over for 3 day forecast for example might be useful. Let's see what can be done.
* Hosted on EC2.

The plan is 'provide a service that tells you what's on in Dublin in as few steps as possible' with a focus on Relevance (Just the necessary number of categories, no expired events), Mobile compatibility (A work in progress) and Sharing/Social (Also a work in progress).

Any other suggestions you have, fire 'em my way.

Last edited:

mikeem

Whoops. Thanks for spotting that.

Only happens on redirect from homepage - I'll fix it up later.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.