Status
Not open for further replies.

ph3n0m

i am currently waiting on a domain to expire :) 6 days and counting

ph3n0m

maybe so, but when should I put in for this domain - when it expires or as the article pointed out, wait a while

ph3n0m

There are no gaurentees in life let alone domains :) Nah all I have is that the domain is due to expire after the weekend

9barJoe

yep, i buy domains once in a while from club drop.

i download that days list & have a script that checks to see if an IE or CO.UK exists for the dropping com. If they exist I get an email.

just a bit of fun realy, as havnt made anything out of it so far.

example www.theofficegroup.com different crews have the IE & UK domains .. maybe I'll get an offer one day.

BTW. you'll see I set up that google sense thing blacknight mentioned somewhere ... well for 9 dollars you cant go wrong. yesturday it earnt 60 cent !! ... its only been there a week, so I will report back from my yaught in the bahamas once it takes off (?)

9barJoe

90% of what it finds is people who registered the .com along with a uk or IE, then did nothing with any of them. So the .coms are of no real value.

The other thing to say is that it is distracting from 'real' work , looking at these domains ... so realy something you just do for fun when you're messing about.

However, I do think there is potentialy some mileage in it ... I caught one domain crescentcommunications.com , which I thought was great as there is a multi million corp. in US called crescent communications ..... unfortuanatly, they went into liquidation soon thereafter.

I certainly would recomend anyone to have a look at club drop. You should be aware that you'll end up paying at least 45 E for a com, so it can add up. The other thing to say is - check to see if the domain has any traffic atall, you can do a search on google, and a link: search . That would be a plus point in my book.

You are unlikely to find any missing .coms etc. for your existing clients using club drop - unless you know exactly when it drops - and you'd have to be pretty organised to keep a track of all that. I thought the link michele gave in this thread was very informative -- and it would be fun to chase a specific drop.

I was in a 2 bidder auction for happyhost.com last month , which I would have won had I not totaly forgotten about it in the closing hours ! oh well.

happy hunting.

9barJoe

I just thought I would add:

if you want to develop a script like that ... start by looking at gethostbyname() PHP.

I have to run the script on a local server. My web server won't allow it. Probally because of some security reason (ask blacknight). Anyway, I run it locally, and I get the emails via an image call to the webserver, as my local server isnt allowed to send mail. It is absolutly basic - takes 15 mins. to write. One tip - only process 5 domains at a time else it will time out. I just refresh using javascript passing a query string.

9barJoe

aye, it only costs 20 dollars or so to sign up for a year. I have a couple of domains there, but havn't realy had the time to persue this whole area.

Do you use whois.sc ? That is also well handy if you upgrade to silver membership. Particualy the who-is history. There is also a plug-in for the google toolbar that seems fairly handy. Silver memebership costs 16 dollars a month. info here http://www.whois.sc/silver-member/

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Of course I've membership on whois.sc :)

I've been also beta testing the next version of their services for them - some really nice features in the pipeline

9barJoe

Blacknight,

I have one for you. It would be very important to me if I can get it. However, litle bit confused.

The domain

ICANN Registrar: ENOM, INC.Created: 1998-08-08Expires: 2006-08-07

has status : with status: Extended RGP , also has who-is identity hidden. I don't quite understand how the status tallies with the renewal date.

very strange coincidence, but the who-is & status seems to have changed today.

I'll send you a pm on this forum with the domain name as I dont want to mention it here. I am a bit wary of contacting enom with an enquiry - although being a premium domain I can't see them letting it drop

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd recommend monitoring it via markmonitor (whois.sc service)

It isn't listed for sale on Afternic, but it might be somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.