Domain Re-direction name in address bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticker

Hey all,

Quick question, I've just done a site for a University club. They are hosting it on their servers (with a huge long url into the bargain!)

I bought a .com fro the club from Digiweb and they are re-directing to the server in question...

However, once the clean url is entered, the address bar then automatically reads out the long domain...

Is there any way to KEEP the clean .com in the address bar while people peruse the site?!

Thanks in advance!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Short answer - probably

Longer answer - talk to your hosting provider

sticker

OK- I'll talk to them then.

I thought there might be a code remedy within the site itself - not so much the hosting provider. Thanks anyway though...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well you're using a redirect from outside the hosting setup, so I can't see how you'd manage that

niall

OK- I'll talk to them then.

I thought there might be a code remedy within the site itself - not so much the hosting provider. Thanks anyway though...

To keep the name in the address bar the same, you'll probably need Digiweb to do frame based forwarding for you. Any other methods require you to have your own hosting account outside of the University.

Niall.

niall

I thought there might be a code remedy within the site itself - not so much the hosting provider.

Of course you could always ask the University admins if they're willing to setup a virtual host for the domain and then simply point the domain at the ip of their server.

sticker

Thanks Niall!

Appreciate the advice. I've got the university and Digiweb talking now. It worked fine but it's down again. I think it's on the University end.

jmcc

Is there any way to KEEP the clean .com in the address bar while people peruse the site?!
What you are talking about is a Reverse Proxy. Basically the first site (Digiweb) would have some code in the httpd.conf that would enable the queries to be sent transparently to the site. The user would only see the clean .com in the address bar. Sometimes this is relatively easy to set up but on shared hosting, it can be problematic and a bit of a nightmare.

Running a Reverse Proxy with Apache:

Regards...jmcc

sticker

Thanks jmcc - Seeing as it's a club site, they aren't that fussed about it working. There would be limited traiffic anyway. It was my idea to try to set this up for them. They were origionally happy to just stay with the long address given by the university server. I'm the one pushing for the clean domain in the address bar.

As a matter of interest, if I placed the site on some of my Digiweb webspace, would it be more do-able?! There would be another site sitting beside it. I wonder would this be in breech of Digiweb rules?!! ie would they expect one site per hosting package?!!

...Which is Fair enough I suppose!

jmcc

Thanks jmcc - Seeing as it's a club site, they aren't that fussed about it working. There would be limited traiffic anyway. It was my idea to try to set this up for them. They were origionally happy to just stay with the long address given by the university server. I'm the one pushing for the clean domain in the address bar.
Well if they are happy with it, then you may be creating extra work for yourself. :)

As a matter of interest, if I placed the site on some of my Digiweb webspace, would it be more do-able?! There would be another site sitting beside it. I wonder would this be in breech of Digiweb rules?!! ie would they expect one site per hosting package?!!
You would have to talk to the Digiweb people about that and check the terms of the hosting agreement. Most hosting contracts are traffic based so having the relatively unlimited hosting offered by the university might be better. As was suggested earlier in the thread, it might be a good thing to get a distinct IP for the site from the university and point the site to it that way. Though that really might be more hassle than it is worth. The frames based solution is probably the easiest one. Though putting it on a Digiweb package may be a very simple solution. I think that Digiweb were running a university deal for students - it might be worth asking about hosting the club's site.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.