Domain transfers - how long to wait ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

Hi Folks

I'm still deep in the agony that is transferring a bunch of domains from one host to another (yes - I know it shouldn't be that difficult!)

Anyway, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, we now have the domains retagged to the new company.... (but with the original nameserver info)

Taking a cautious approach <g> , I reset the nameserver on one of the domains - and thought 'that's sorted it'..... After a while (days!) I noticed that not a lot of email had come through that domain - so went back to the original host and found a whole heap of email sitting on the old, out-of date, mail account. This I retrieved.....

The old company seemed to think that the only way to sort this was to completely remove the domain from their servers, and their nameservers were apparently ignoring the updated nameserver information. So - yesterday, nuked the domain on their servers and now all seems OK...

I then set about sorting the next domain. resetting the nameserver to point to the new company. Now here's probably where I went wrong....
because I then turned off the web and email services in the old company - and was rewarded by a nice fat 404 Not Found error....

...so I turned the web services back on, and set up a quick 'redirect' page to the new server - which seems OK..... That domain doesn't use its own email addresses... so no big issue there...

So - assuming I've not gone completely crazy.... would the following be the Right Way to go for the other domains...?

1) Set nameservers to point to new domain
2) wait for ?? 3 ?? days for the world to catch up
3) delete the domain from the original host

The one step missing last night was '2' - is that where I went wrong, do you think ??

The situation is made more difficult because the old company take forever to answer support queries..... and the answers aren't always that convincing when they do eventually arrive....

Thanks in advance
Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.