Drupal vs. Wordpress MU for multi-user blogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardboard_belt

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here and I'm not 100% sure if this is the right section or if this should really go in the CMS section so be gentle please :)

In the near future, I need to be able to provide some of the users of my site with their own, easily maintainable blog. Looking around the various options for implementing this I've narrowed it down to Drupal and Wordpress MU. I've had a brief look at both in terms of implementing and I'm curious as to whether anyone has any experience they'd like to share before I dive in further.

Not trying to skive a 'how-to' here, just curious as to how others may have gotten on with using either Drupal or Wordpress MU to provide blogs to multiple users on their site. Something about Drupal looks off to me but I can't put my finger on it. Seems like it promises the world but would end up being a screaming pain in the arse so I'm leaning towards Wordpress. Plus, gotta support the local team right? :)

Anyhoo, any insights from previous experience the rest of you might have had would be much appreciated.

Great forum by the way.

Cheerio,

A

Cormac

Wordpress MU looks the business. I tried to install it on my host a while back but i had some mod rewrite issues. I will be returing to MU in the next while.

Drupal is fairly complex. Do you have a prior experience in either? Better to go with what you're most familar with as your users will more than likely be relying on yourself for support if anything goes wrong.

cardboard_belt

Yup, Drupal does look very messy for some reason. Tried setting it up locally a while ago and nearly put my foot through the screen. In fairness I hadn't a notion what I was doing at the time so it was probably largely my fault but it still left a nasty feeling.

Sadly no real experience with either and I'm foolishly telling myself "sure how hard can it be, should take a day to set up...tops". I'm going to have a proper look at Lyceum I think and then report back. Maybe even write something useful about the experience if I get it all working :)

Cormac

drupal has so many rules about setting it up and it doesn't run "out of the box" which in reality it should because the majority of it's rivals do.

Do you have mod rewrite or wildcard dns setup on your host? WP-MU requires them to be enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.