Duplicate Content Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyoo

Hi there,

I started doing some advertising for a business that have two websites operating in different regions but sell the same products and the websites are prity much replicas of each other.

I don't want Google punishing them for duplicate content so what is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks.

link8r

Use the canonical tag to refer to the correct URL on the duplicate pages. If they are in a different language, then the content isn't really duplicate.

E.g:
mysite.ie/products/acme2000/supervac.html, canonical = "mysite.ie/products/acme2000/supervac.htm"
mysite.ie/uk/products/acme2000/supervac.html, canonical = "mysite.ie/products/acme2000/supervac.htm"

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Specify your canonical

link8r

Furthermore - if you're targeting two different countries and the sites are correctly geo-targeted AND localised

e.g. "Supervac 2000 for Ireland" and "Supervac 2000 for the UK"

Then your content won't be exactlty duplicate

BrianSisko

Thanks link8r for the link to the Google blog, very useful. I'd been worrying about this problem recently, Google seem to have found a simple solution :)

This is one of the serious issues that affects SEO. Duplicate content will even affects the ranking of the website and it is a reason for attracting penalty from google.
------------
DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT FORUM RULES

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.