Employer Bully - Portfolio Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lushpuppy

Hi there,

First time poster so hope I'm in the correct forum!

I am a graphic designer currently on sick leave as advised by my doctor, due to work related stress caused by bullying and victimisation from my boss. Im currently involved in a constructive dismissal case against him.

I would like to leave my job of 3 years but need pdf's of work I have designed while contracted by my company, for my portfolio. I have no intention of circumnavigating my employer and contacting clients directly as I will not be working in the same geographical area and for moral and legal reasons, wouldn't cross that line.

I have contacted my boss through a lawyer and offered that, whilst I am legally entitled to pursue a good case against him for breaching HSE employee rights to safety in the workplace, as backed by medically certifiable evidence over a sustained period, that I will forgo that option if I could just have copies of my work for my portfolio, without which, a career in graphic design is useless. He has refused on the grounds that he owns the rights but as I understand it an employer cannot infringe on an a former employees right to secure work as long as no client "stealing" takes place. Is this accurate?

I've worked so so hard, no overtime, 10 hr days, 30 mins break, as a digital operator, customer service AND graphic designer when he started the company. To then be bullied to the point you have breakdown at work and are put on medication is one thing, but to be told I'm not legally entitled to work to pursue my career elsewhere is nuts! How do designers build their portfolio if they've left under untoward and unexpected circumstances?

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.