Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadcon

Hi guys,

Im new to this web dev/adsense stuff and am currently in the failed attempts stage :D

Im wondering how many attempts (if any) did you have before you got the balance right and started seeing some cash coming in?

Also some info on your failed attempts and the lessons you learned from them would be appreciated.

Thanks

sparky

Open a Google AdWords account so you can look at Google PPC rates and check you will focus on a profitable niche.

Focus on writing a lot of good niche content.

Get your site up, and get a lot of links in to it.

Make sure your AdSense units are given prominent positions on the page, i.e. in the centre, not at page borders.

Rgds

bucks

The trick is to try and get ads that will be of interest to your sites viewers.. (seems obvious i know)

Google try this automatically but if your site is not aimed at one particular niche then more often than not so will the ads they display and will be of no interest to your viewers, regular site viewers will then turn a blind eye to that ad location.

Text link ads have always gained more clicks for me and every once in a while change the position of them along with the colour, this has always resulted with increased clicks for me.

I very recently launched a new (beta) site ( Buy and sell modified cars in Ireland for FREE | ModifiedCars.ie ) and im very happy with the google ads being displayed and also with the amount of clicks im receiving. This is a result of focusing on one niche market, modified cars.

All that being said it aint as easy to earn money from adsense these days as it was a few years back, i have removed some of my adsense slots and replaced them with ebay affiliate links which are turning out to be higher earners.

Good money can still be made from adsense but it will require a lot of hard work and it wont happen over night.

bigbadcon

Hi bucks,

This is one of the confusing things for me..

Your site is obviously in the "Modified cars" niche and is based mainly for people from Ireland.

According to the Goodle Adwords Traffic Estimator (i cant post the link) the traffic that would be generated from "Modified Cars" (just under Ireland) is very small..

Whats confusing me is what made you decide that "Modified Cars in Ireland" was a good niche when according to the traffic estimator is isnt a hugely popular topic in Ireland..

Without being too nosy .. Did you decide on this niche because the PPC was high or are you getting way more traffic than is estimated by the Traffic Estimator??

My recent attempt was a Lost and Found Pets site for California..

The reason why I decided on this was purely based on the population of the state... ( I know better now ;))

The site was coming up 4th in Google for "Lost and Found Pets California" and not too far behind for similar keywords but I was still getting no traffic whatsoever... (its since moved down to the 4th page for some reason..)

So what is your deciding factor on a niche to jump on??

bucks

I will only develop sites that i have an active interest in, many of my sites are car related and i think without an interest in your niche you will slowly loose interest in updating/maintaining the site etc..

I never developed modifiedcars purely to earn money via adsense, in fact i would never develop any site purely to make money on it via adsense, i think that boat has sailed and people arent earning the money that they did a few years back on ads.

I dont want to go too much into it but i assure you the modified car scene is huge in Ireland regardless of what the traffic estimator says!

So to answer you question, pick a niche that you have an active interest in!

MWick

Well you must have a good balance between the amount you are willing to spend and you are looking to earn. Of course if you have a budget to spend that is. If not then extra work will be required.

bigbadcon

Hmm it appears Ive a lot to learn.

My problem is that because im learning im not sure whether my attempt is a lost cause or whether im just not giving it the time and extra effort involved.

It also takes me a good bit longer to develop a website than it would you guys as its not what I do on a day to day basis..

Im confident enough that my next idea will be much more popular as its in a much more popular niche but only time will tell I suppose. Il keep you posted!! The users will hopefully generate 80% of the content which will make thing easier..

@MWick the only budget I have at the minute is my time as I definitely dont want to spend any money while im learning the ropes (besides domain names and web space of course)... Im literally hoping to earn an extra maybe 100 a month on this without huge amounts of work. I realise tons of money requires tons of work so im happy with small money for somewhat small amounts of work :D

@Bucks I see exactly what you mean about picking a niche you have an interest in as Im sure it would seem less like hard work if its something you enjoy doing...

Im only realising now how much more there is to learn besides the web dev part. doh

thanks for the replies guys..

Your still being very secretive about your failed attempts though... ;)

Niche

To make money with adsense you need a few things

A niche that generates a ton of interest. It's traffic that results in earnings. So being in a niche or optimizing for keywords that generate less than 5000 queries a day I think is a waste of time. Because you have to remember that you will not get all the traffic going. If you are pretty slick with your SEO you may get 10% of the total search query traffic. And not all your visitors are going to convert i.e. click on your adsense ads. The average conversion is 3 to 8%

You need a shed load of content. Lots of words on each and every page of your site

You need many pages

This is just the beginning. The next step is to learn search engine optimization so that you can get as much of that precious search engine traffic as you can

Took me a while to figure things out but I assure you that with some work you can make a significant anount with adsense

Status
Not open for further replies.