Firefox Memory Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone else had issues with Firefox eating memory and becoming unresponsive recently?

For some odd reason it completely freezes on my laptop and I end up having to kill the process completely (it's running Ubuntu linux)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Happens to me quite regularly ... have to kill down all the windows ... its happened I believe for a number of months ... doesn't bother me that much ... and it doesn't crash ... just starts to reach up to 360mb+ memory size ... that said I've a lot of tabs open usually 2 - 3 windows with

At the moment for example I've got hmm... 17 tabs open in one window must check the deltas with memory later on ...

Plugins ...

Live PageRank ...
GoogleSync ...
Firebug ...
HTML Validator ...
Remember Mismatched Domains ...
Web Developer ...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand it happening when I've loads of tabs and windows open, but it happened to me last night with only a few of each :(

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I noticed before .. some flash animations could cause memory leaks if they were poorly done ...

davidbehan

Happens me all the time. It builds up over time so the longer it is open, the more it eats up the memory. I once had 900mb allocated to it. A quick restart of firefox does the trick to clean and my research into it online showed that as being the best cure.

I notice certain websites eat things up very quickly like my stats program that does auto refreshes and stuff so it was possibly a website with some dodgy js running maybe!

Ciarán Mc Cann

Yes I have expereince the same problem, mem usage is 125,000K and then after a while it just freeze and "end task" wont work, so i have to kill the process itself, although I have noticed that it will come back if you wait about a min or 2. I have started having this problem since I upated to firefox 2.0.0.6

Status
Not open for further replies.