Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I set this forum very recently, as most of you know and I would love to see it grow to become a useful and interesting community.

If anybody has any feedback, thoughts, ideas, critique or whatever I would love to hear it.

louie

probably under the webmaster help you can add:

ASP help
PHP help
MySQL
SQL
Access

and so on.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
louie said:
probably under the webmaster help you can add:

ASP help
PHP help
MySQL
SQL
Access

and so on.
I would be afraid of adding that many categories immediately, as the board does not have that many members.
How about a general "coding help" or similar to start with?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
curratech said:
Shift your Sponsored Links to the right hand side, so I don't have to keep scrolling sideways? ;)

I'm probably going to remove that column for the moment - it was more of an experiment than anything else :p

louie

blacknight said:
I would be afraid of adding that many categories immediately, as the board does not have that many members.
How about a general "coding help" or similar to start with?

Yes that's a better idea.

curratech said:
Shift your Sponsored Links to the right hand side, so I don't have to keep scrolling sideways? ;)

i think if he removes the padding-left from the css style sheet or reduce it to 1px that should be alright.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Any suggestions on the title then?
Possible titles:

- programming help
- coding help
- web programming help

I'm open to suggestions

cr8or

programming forum sounds good .. but i dont like the idea of a forum dedicated to help .. ye just get people dumping problems... "i cant fix this" , "can you find the problem for me" etc

louie

cr8or said:
programming forum sounds good .. but i dont like the idea of a forum dedicated to help .. ye just get people dumping problems... "i cant fix this" , "can you find the problem for me" etc

Isn't that what a forum it's all about?

I very often get help from forums, and if I can then i'll do my best to help.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've called it "coding help" for the moment and moved some of the code related threads in there.

I'll also be looking into finding some ways to encourage new members to join and take part, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them :D

Gavin

How about a new section on Search Engine talk based around news, methods etc? Or is there one that I am not seeing at the moment? :eek:

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
How about a new section on Search Engine talk based around news, methods etc? Or is there one that I am not seeing at the moment? :eek:
What do you mean? Isn't that covered by the search engine optimisation forum??

RedCardinal

Hmm..

I thought that I had submitted my site to search.ie but obviously not.

What's that got to do with this? Well people love something for free. You could try to leverage some of your other sites to build membership here, e.g. you could have a competition offering a free featured listing for members. OK, so that might not sound so hot but when you offer something worth €200 it gets a lot more attention.

If it doesn't go against your own strategy then you might consider placing a link from the submission page (or better still the confirmation page) on search.ie to here ('Why not join up with other Irish webmasters over at Irish Webmaster Forum?').

Just a thought

Rgds

Richard

Redfly

A new design

Why not a new design? Not that I have a problem with the current design, but whenever I visit a VB forum with this theme (Default I assume) I just get the vibe that its just someones hobby.

Do you have any goals for the forum? Where would you like to see it in a years time? Is there any competition to that goal? What are tey doing that you are not?

Also, you have the maximum amount of adsense units. You also have TLA ads. This in my opinion, on a new forum, makes it look cheap. Not that I have a problem with you making money from the forums. If your building something for the community, make it about the community.

(I hope that didn't come out wrong).

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Why not a new design? Not that I have a problem with the current design, but whenever I visit a VB forum with this theme (Default I assume) I just get the vibe that its just someones hobby.

It is a hobby for God's sake! I have a fulltime job !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.