FTP client

Status
Not open for further replies.

byronyasgur

anyone know of an ftp client that can do one of the following

1. display the folders and subfolders as a directory tree while at the same time display their permissions opposite
  2. allow searches on the server for directories and/or files that are set/not set to a particular permission
  3. display a list of all the folders and subfolders with their respective permissions opposite

I am trying to check the permissions on multiple CMS sites and what i am trying to avoid doing is having to drill down into each subfolder of subfolder to check what the permissions are as there are plenty of folders - i want all the folders on the server in a list so i can scroll through them

Gavin

FileZilla can list a directory tree. Click on a folder will display its contents in another box along with the permissions.

byronyasgur

thanks - i know filezilla but i need it to display the permissions and the expanded tree in the same window somehow - dont think that's possible with FZ

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Does CuteFTP do that?

Or WSFTP?

Sorry - I don't use Windows these days, but I remember both of them were pretty good

byronyasgur

thanks - i dont think so though - i used to use cute and i had a look at the screenshots of ws and it doesnt look like it

Gavin

Ah it doesnt show the permissions in the directory tree but can show them in the window directly underneath. I've attached a screen-shot as an example.

byronyasgur

Ah it doesnt show the permissions in the directory tree but can show them in the window directly underneath. I've attached a screen-shot as an example.

yes i know - you can only show one subfolder at a time that way - am trying to see them all in a list ..... any linux genious know of command(s) to list all the directories, subdirectories and files on a server with their permissions listed alongside - or could i write a php script to do it perhaps

MOH

yes i know - you can only show one subfolder at a time that way - am trying to see them all in a list ..... any linux genious know of command(s) to list all the directories, subdirectories and files on a server with their permissions listed alongside - or could i write a php script to do it perhaps

I'm probably missing something, but won't ls -lr do what you want?

Banta

I was thinking the same things as MOH as I was reading this. Won't ls -lr do what you're looking for? Or you prefer is it that you'd prefer the visual representation of the folders rather than listed?

I'm not sure if there's an FTP client that can do what you're asking. You can certainly see the permissions of sub folders in the a current folder that you're in (like in FZ, or CoreFTP) but for viewing all the sub folders of those sub folders etc, I'm not sure you can from an FTP client.

I've written a batch script for something like this actually recently to list all files and folders on a network share I use, and to list all the permissions. It then creates a log file of the files/folders and the permissions listed as well.
Not sure if this could be run on your hosting though... it's also in log format, so every folder and file is listed. But could be easily changed to just read and name folders and permissions. Again though, not sure if you could use this on your hosting.

byronyasgur

thanks - actually i'm not well up on linux - i tried out ls -lr but it didnt seem to list the subfolders - other than that it would be perfect;or can i do soemthing else in linux to list the subfolders as well as the folders all in the one list ( at the same time ) - the script you mentioned seems like exactly what i want - would i need something special for it to run

ps no i dont need graphical representation or anything - just some way of seeing all the permisssions on all files and folders and subfolders in a server at the one time in one list

Banta

Right, try 'ls -lrR'

The 'R' sets it to recurssive, so should give you all the subdirectories and permissions as well. Let me know how you get on.

byronyasgur

thanks - that seems to do it right but there's something funny about putty because after it goes through all the files and folders and finished i can only scroll back over about a page or two of them - any ideas - i always thought putty gave you the ability to scroll back over the lifetime of the entire session - or maybe it's to do with the command or something else

Banta

OK, I'm not 100% sure on this one so I had to go to a friend for this (haven't been able to try this though, so can't say if it works or not)... Try:

ls -lrR | less

from what I'm being told it's like doing "dir /p" in command prompt, so you should get a "page by page" break down...

THEN we got to talking about putting it into a file... so another solution...

ls -lrR > filelist.txt

This should list all the files and folders and permissions and also create a file called filelist.txt. You can then open this text file.

You can then, ls -lrR >> filelist.txt if the file already exists, as this will then update the txt file. HOWEVER, if doesn't update the entry, but rather adds the list again. So if you have "1 2 3 4 5" in the file and run the command you'll have "1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5" if you get me.

So I reckon that's your best bet... ls -lrR > filelist.txt
Then you can open it all in a text file ;)

Hope this helps!

byronyasgur

wow - thanks so much - that's perfect for my party !! :) i just downloaded the filelist.txt file and have it on familiar windows territory so im sorted - thanks again

Banta

Ah good stuff. Glad I could help :)

If you want to update it, I'd suggest removing the .txt file from the server and running the command again so that you get a "fresh" file each time :)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
thanks - that seems to do it right but there's something funny about putty because after it goes through all the files and folders and finished i can only scroll back over about a page or two of them - any ideas - i always thought putty gave you the ability to scroll back over the lifetime of the entire session - or maybe it's to do with the command or something else

You'll have to check the scrollback buffer or something like that in the options for your session ... set it at 9999 or something like that (lines) but the other suggestion makes a lot more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.