G - search box in search results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

Hi all,

Not sure if this is old news, but I only saw it for the first time today. Google has a search box in the search results for some searches now (attached). Very interesting, a nice feature, however it really seperates the top of the list from page 2 now for SEO. I wonder if the future of search results is search boxes everywhere (if they can fit them in between full video ads).

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff

Strange they don't put it to the side more, it uses a lot of real estate with the site links.

Tbh, the site links are actually a waste of time. Mostly they are telling you stuff you don't give a curse about anyway (about us, contact us, blah blah). If given the choice I would turn off site links but keep the search box, that seems like a good idea.

cheers,
G

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
With site links it depends a lot on the site.

I've been doing quite a bit of research into hifi / home cinema gear over the last few days and have found them quite helpful, as they tend to highlight the more popular locations on a vendor's site

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
"Through experimentation, we found that presenting users with a search box as part of the result increases their likelihood of finding the exact page they are looking for. So over the past few days we have been testing, and today we have fully rolled out, a search box that appears within some of the search results themselves. This feature will now occur when we detect a high probability that a user wants more refined search results within a specific site. Like the rest of our snippets, the sites that display the site search box are chosen algorithmically based on metrics that measure how useful the search box is to users."

source - Official Google Blog: Search within a site: A tale of teleportation

Status
Not open for further replies.