Status
Not open for further replies.

php.allstar

Hi,

I have unveiled my new website last week Dogzone.ie, where visitors can find pedigree dogs for sale in Ireland

I submitted the site to Google, Yahoo and Bing (are Yahoo and Bing one entity now?).

I also submitted an XML sitemap to Google, containing links to 860 odd pages on the site.

It has been a week now and I have seen googlebot appear in my server logs. Also the Crawl Stats section on Google webmaster tools indicates that it has crawled my site a couple of time already.

In the Sitemaps section of Google Webmaster tools it shows that my sitemap of 860 odd pages was submitted and download a few days ago.

4 days after I told Google about Dogzone.ie, I noticed a couple of my pages started appearing on their index. I have checked everyday using the site:http://www.dogzone.ie operator (with my domain name) . and everyday it appears that there are only about 2 - 3 pages being added to Google's index!

There are 12 pages indexed at the moment but my homepage has not been indexed yet.

Does anyone know why my homepage would not be indexed yet?

I have to hold my hand up and admit that I am a bit of a noob when it comes to SEO, but from what I had read I believed I was doing all the right things. I am really afraid that I may be doing something wrong with rewrite rules in my .htaccess files (see below)

I just have a couple of directories blocked by robots.txt but not the site root directory where the homepage resides.

I understand that I have to build quality inbound links with my content neighbours but I've been holding off on that until Google indexes the majority of my site. I also want to advertise the site with fliers, posters and press releases but again, I want to get indexed first.

I'm even weary of posting the link here as there is the possibility that this thread may get indexed and appear above my own site, but it has to be done, I can't sit around any longer, really anxious to get the site out there!

Sorry for the long-wind-edness of this post but I would really appreciate any help!

Code:
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on

# Search
RewriteRule ^pups-for-sale$ listing-type.php?type=pups-for-sale
RewriteRule ^stud-dogs$ listing-type.php?type=stud-dogs
RewriteRule ^pedigree-bitch-for-sale$ listing-type.php?type=pedigree-bitch-for-sale
RewriteRule ^pedigree-dogs-for-sale$ listing-type.php?type=pedigree-dogs-for-sale

RewriteRule ^pups-for-sale/all$ search.php?type=pups-for-sale [QSA]
#RewriteRule ^stud-dogs$ search.php?type=stud-dogs [QSA]

# Listing
RewriteRule ^(pups-for-sale|stud-dogs|pedigree-bitch-for-sale|pedigree-dogs-for-sale)/(.*)/(.*)/print$ listing-print.php?url=$3 [L]
RewriteRule ^pups-for-sale/(.*)/(.*)$ listing.php?url=$2
RewriteRule ^stud-dogs/(.*)/(.*)$ listing.php?url=$2
RewriteRule ^pedigree-bitch-for-sale/(.*)/(.*)$ listing.php?url=$2
RewriteRule ^pedigree-dogs-for-sale/(.*)/(.*)$ listing.php?url=$2

RewriteRule ^pups-for-sale/all$ search.php?type=pups-for-sale [QSA]
RewriteRule ^stud-dogs/all$ search.php?type=stud-dogs [QSA]
RewriteRule ^pedigree-bitch-for-sale/all$ search.php?type=pedigree-bitch-for-sale [QSA]
RewriteRule ^pedigree-dogs-for-sale/all$ search.php?type=pedigree-dogs-for-sale [QSA]

RewriteRule ^pups-for-sale/([a-zA-Z-]+)$ search.php?type=pups-for-sale&breed=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^stud-dogs/([a-zA-Z-]+)$ search.php?type=stud-dogs&breed=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^pedigree-bitch-for-sale/([a-zA-Z-]+)$ search.php?type=pedigree-bitch-for-sale&breed=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^pedigree-dogs-for-sale/([a-zA-Z-]+)$ search.php?type=pedigree-dogs-for-sale&breed=$1 [QSA]

RewriteRule ^dog-breeds/groups$ dog-breeds/groups/index.php
RewriteRule ^dog-breeds/groups/([a-z-]+)/([a-z-]+)$ dog-breeds/groups/section.php?sectionURL=$2
RewriteRule ^dog-breeds/groups/([a-z-]+)$ dog-breeds/groups/group.php?groupURL=$1

RewriteRule ^dog-breeds/groups$ dog-breeds/groups/index.php [L]
RewriteRule dog-breeds/all-breeds dog-breeds/all-breeds.php [L]
RewriteRule ^dog-breeds/find-a-breed$ dog-breeds/find-a-breed.php [L]

# Breed Rewrite
RewriteRule ^dog-breeds/([a-z-]+)$ dog-breeds/breed-info.php?breed=$1

# 404 Rewrite
RewriteRule ^404$ 404.php

# Static Pages
RewriteRule ^links$ links.php
RewriteRule ^sitemap$ sitemap.php
RewriteRule legal-notices legal-notices.php
RewriteRule terms-and-conditions terms-and-conditions.php
RewriteRule privacy-policy privacy-policy.php

RewriteRule dog-breeders/advertising-benefits dog-breeders/advertising-benefits.php
RewriteRule dog-breeders/advertising-guide dog-breeders/advertising-guide.php
RewriteRule dog-breeders/control-panel dog-breeders/control-panel.php
RewriteRule dog-breeders/login dog-breeders/login.php
RewriteRule dog-breeders/add-listing dog-breeders/add-listing.php

# Page we serve when we cant find what the user is looking for
ErrorDocument 404 /404.php

Tom

Your home page is coming up here in Google results. Nice website.

php.allstar

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that.

Yes it now appears my homepage is appearing, typical!

It proves my point that my pages are only being added to google in dribs and drabs...2 - 3 pages a day! Does anyone know why this would be happening?

As I suspected, this thread has already been indexed by Google and now ranks higher than me for my preferred key phrase!

Gavin

It proves my point that my pages are only being added to google in dribs and drabs...2 - 3 pages a day!

I've just launched a .co.uk website two weeks ago and noticed the same thing. I used to be able to index a 100 page website within 24 hours but this time round it has taken longer. I've been seeing a handful of pages each day get indexed.

In saying that I've only used two backlinks from another site so I didnt to see a major rush of indexing.

php.allstar

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for that.

At least its not just my site!

I would just love to know why this happens?! Are we both doing something wrong or is google having a laugh?

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

I know Google doesn't index every single page on most sites but at this rate the majority of my site wont be indexed for at least a year!

Thanks,
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.