Status
Not open for further replies.

modesdo

Hi

I'm hosting a .net shopping site in Ireland and have a reasonable rank of 4, my problem is that I have good placings on Google.com and Google.ie but nothing at all on Google.co.uk.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the sites ranking on Google.co.uk?

Many thanks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Which keywords / phrases are you trying to get good results for?

Where is most of your traffic coming from at the moment?

modesdo

Hi
Fm transmitters, voip phones, mobile phone batteries, pc cables. At the moment we get no traffic at all from google.co.uk.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Where do you get traffic from?

Have you got links back from other UK sites?

What is the domain name so that we can have a look?

georgiecasey

Google uses extensive geo-location (IMO) based on domain extension and where the host is based. It's very annoying, it makes sense for stuff like restaurants and stuff like that but most of the web is universal in nature. I don't know how to solve it apart from switch hosts to the UK but then you'll lose out on Irish traffic..... so in conclusion, I dont know...

modesdo

we've got a reasonable amount of links from UK sites, the site is www,.shoppingcentre.net. To be honest most of the traffic is coming from
google.co.uk PPC a bit from froogle and a bit from overture.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how to solve it apart from switch hosts to the UK but then you'll lose out on Irish traffic..... so in conclusion, I dont know...

We've got quite a few UK companies that are not having issues with this ...

Another option might be to move the site to a UK IP in Ireland - which is doable. This site is on an Irish IP, for example, but it isn't on a server in Ireland

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
we've got a reasonable amount of links from UK sites, the site is www,.shoppingcentre.net. To be honest most of the traffic is coming from
google.co.uk PPC a bit from froogle and a bit from overture.
Just looking at the site it doesn't look like it's been optimised that much for the UK market. Your title tags include the domain name only and aren't descriptive of the content nor the market you are trying to reach.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
should we be putting UK in the title?

Maybe, but you should definitely be putting some of your keywords in there.

Have a look at some of the other members' sites (in their profiles or sigs) to get some ideas

RedCardinal

Hi
Fm transmitters, voip phones, mobile phone batteries, pc cables. At the moment we get no traffic at all from google.co.uk.

Just wondering when you say good rankings for these search phrases what do you mean?

I looked for voip phones and mobile phone batteries and didn't see you on page 1?

Your prices are in £ - which market are you targeting?

Looking at your homepage I would say that you could probably do quite a bit of on-site optimisation to improve your rankings. Very little text was the first thing that struck me - all images.

No META tags. As Michele mentioned you are absoultely wasting your title tag unless you think people are searching for you by name.

5.5k backlinks on Yahoo and c. 100 on Google. Competitive space though.

What analysis are you doing on your logs?

modesdo

I meant generally the google rank is 4 wich is ok. Primarily the UK market and you're right the site does need some optimisation work to improve the google listings and I'll get someone to have a look at that. I've got awstats which are ok.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you can get relevant keywords and phrases onto the site it should help with your listings...

Have you considered an affiliate program?

Status
Not open for further replies.