Hosting/domain advice for a newbie to Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan414

Hi, I'm hoping to pick your brains about setting up a site for my wife. We've only been here a few months. She is teaching the Alexander Technique in Fingal, so only needs to reach folk North of Dublin.

I understand from the forums that to register a .ie domain name she needs to establish some right to the name. She has not registered a company, but she has joined the Irish chapter of her professional association. Is that sufficient to be able to register a name? A more general question, does she need to worry about it being .ie? I'm mainly concerned about her site being recognised as Irish by the search engines.

For hosting, I followed one of the recommendations to EZPZ in the UK- they were indeed very responsive. However, they can't transfer the domain; will I be making my life complicated if I go down this route?

Failing that, which Irish hosting would you recommend for a very simple site?

thanks, ...Stan

Digiweb

Hi Stan,

You can find a quick guide to registering .ie domains here: IE Domain Registry

If your target market is in Ireland then you would better suited by having a .ie domain and having your site hosted in Ireland.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
. She has not registered a company, but she has joined the Irish chapter of her professional association. Is that sufficient to be able to register a name?
To register a .ie? Doubtful.
She's need to get a registered business name from the CRO (CRO - Home)

A more general question, does she need to worry about it being .ie? I'm mainly concerned about her site being recognised as Irish by the search engines.

Getting it hosted in Ireland is probably best for SEO

For hosting, I followed one of the recommendations to EZPZ in the UK- they were indeed very responsive. However, they can't transfer the domain; will I be making my life complicated if I go down this route?
I'm not sure I follow. What or who is EZPZ? What can't they do exactly?

Failing that, which Irish hosting would you recommend for a very simple site?

Shop around :)

stan414

Time to process CRO filing

Thanks for your responses. I've gone ahead and filed a business name registration. So now I have a paper form for signature. About how long does this take to process? Can I physically go into the CRO and have it processed there and then? Can I register the domain name while it is processing? Thanks, ...Stan

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I *think* CRO take a week to two weeks to process RBNs

As for registering domains - you can request one, but you'd need the RBN application receipt from the CRO to get it accepted in the iterim, however you would have 30 days to finalise the registration request

stan414

Thanks Blackknight,

So to confirm my understanding, I can provisionally register a domain based on the details on the signature page from CRO, put up the web page, and have a (hopefully small) risk of having to change the name or take down the site, if there is a glitch in the 30 days?

Thanks, ...Stan

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Thanks Blackknight,

So to confirm my understanding, I can provisionally register a domain based on the details on the signature page from CRO, put up the web page, and have a (hopefully small) risk of having to change the name or take down the site, if there is a glitch in the 30 days?

Thanks, ...Stan

you probably won't be granted the domain until you have received your RBN.

You can register the domain ... this places a hold on the domain name in which time no one else can register it ... you should receive your RBN by that stage and finalise your registration. You won't be able to have yoursite.ie up and running until you have your rbn

Forbairt

OK, thanks for the clarification. ...Stan

You would however be able to have tempname.yourhostingprovider.ie up and running more than likely if you just wanted to work on the site in the mean time. I believe most providers give you a temporary way of accessing your site before DNS has propaged over.

(though you'd want to check wiht your host)

stan414

OK, that could be a way forward.

Would that cause a problem with the search engines, if we were to be indexed during that time? I had an idea that moving the same content over to another name cost SEO brownie points?

Forbairt

OK, that could be a way forward.

Would that cause a problem with the search engines, if we were to be indexed during that time? I had an idea that moving the same content over to another name cost SEO brownie points?

You wouldn't really want that page indexed by the search engines ...
(depending on how its set up ... your main domain would replace that temp name completely and you wouldn't be able to 301 redirect afterwards ... I was more talking in terms of fixing up the site yourself online.

You could take the .com if available and ultimately 301 redirect it when you get the .ie

stan414

I spoke with CRO. There is a 5-6 week delay in processing the registrations. However, they said that if you present in person at the cash office and get your signature form receipted, that is enough for domain name registration. They said the service provider can call CRO for confirmation if required.

So I'm off to the office in the morning.

you probably won't be granted the domain until you have received your RBN.

You can register the domain ... this places a hold on the domain name in which time no one else can register it ... you should receive your RBN by that stage and finalise your registration. You won't be able to have yoursite.ie up and running until you have your rbn

jmcc

I spoke with CRO. There is a 5-6 week delay in processing the registrations. However, they said that if you present in person at the cash office and get your signature form receipted, that is enough for domain name registration. They said the service provider can call CRO for confirmation if required.

So I'm off to the office in the morning.
Isn't the receipt number that the CRO.ie site generates enough as a temporary measure. I think that it has been accepted in the past by IEDR. When the RBN is issued, it is simply a case of notifying IEDR. No trips in meatspace required. :)

Regards...jmcc

stan414

jmcc, I took it to mean that this was a permanent solution, and that I'd be able to go ahead with the actual domain name from day 1. I Understood from Forbairt that I'd have a temporary subdomain otherwise.

...Stan

jmcc

jmcc, I took it to mean that this was a permanent solution, and that I'd be able to go ahead with the actual domain name from day 1. I Understood from Forbairt that I'd have a temporary subdomain otherwise.
The domain granted would be a full .ie domain rather than some temporary sub Stan,
Unless IEDR changed the rules, there is a window of about eight weeks to supply documentation. The CRO receipt number used to be good enough until the RBN was registered and the RBN number was available. You would be able to go ahead with the domain from day one. I don't know if IEDR will check later that the RBN has been granted but either the hoster or yourself might have to notify them of the number. The CRO receipt is perhaps the fastest method short of the Discretionary Name category.

Regards...jmcc

Forbairt

The domain granted would be a full .ie domain rather than some temporary sub. Unless IEDR changed the rules, there is a window of about eight weeks to supply documentation. The CRO receipt number used to be good enough until the RBN was registered and the RBN number was available. You would be able to go ahead with the domain from day one. I don't know if IEDR will check later that the RBN has been granted but such an automated process is trivial to set up. The CRO receipt is perhaps the fastest method short of the Discretionary Name category.

Regards...jmcc

Didn't actually know you could get the .ie up and running based on the CRO receipt number. cheers for the info.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't actually know you could get the .ie up and running based on the CRO receipt number. cheers for the info.
It's called "provisional acceptance"

The domain is fully registered and billed etc.,

If the registrant cannot provide the documentation within 8 weeks the IEDR will delete the domain and the registrant will not get any refund, as the domain has been fully registered for 60 days

stan414

Summary

For anyone who is going through the same procedure, here are the steps I took. I think the whole thing could be done in a day, except for the propagation of the domain name (an extra day or two).

1) Register with CORE, and file the business name registration online
it's at cro dot ie but I can't post the URL.

2) Go into CRO in Dublin, (Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square
Dublin 1) and pay the 20euro over the counter. ***Important*** - remember to ask for a stamped copy of the filing form.

3) Order the domain name from your service provider. They will ask you for the receipt by fax or emailed scan.

4) Service provider clears it with iedr.

5) That's it. you're up and running with a .ie domain name.

Thanks to all for your advice, ...Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.