Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on a hotel directory at the moment (in my spare time - so it's taking forever!)

What attributes would be useful to list apart from the website address and a basic description?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
obviously ...
Star Rating

then ... for me
Average Room price ...
MidWeek offers
Restaurant
Bar
24hour room service
Local facilities ... golf
daycare /childminders or similar (no idea if this gets offered in any hotel)

Potentially a feedback thing on your site ... but that'd probably get a bit serious and require a lot of moderation / work

All I can think of at the moment

Forbairt

WiFi ... exists / pay / free ...
Net Access from rooms

both pretty important if you're in business travel

Checkin Times ( if you're on budget travel you can find you arrive at 1 in the morning at your destination will they be open ... in this case I'll use rome as the example ... you can get very cheap flights that arrive around 11 at night ... getting to city center takes another hour ... and then finding your hotel another 1 .. would make it 1 in the morning)

Online Bookings ... not everyone has them and a lot of people like being able to book online

ziycon

How do you deal with people clicking 1/10 for their reviews ? :) Its a valid review but it may not be truthful

The google Maps bit in this day and age ... is a bit of a must have :)
Its just based on a personal experiance, a general guideline of how people feel about the place, obviously some people will lie but that will happen anywhere!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've been accepting reviews / comments on armchair.ie's listings for ages

The main thing I have to watch out for is the extremists :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the listings options ...

Should I specify "broadband" or "wifi" OR both?

Forbairt

its a weird one .... knowing someone who was installing broadband and wifi in the same hotel ... I'd have to say they are kinda two different things

Ethernet in certain rooms no wireless in the rooms
Wifi in the main lobby region / bar

Redfly

Offer reviews and make sure the month/year the person reviewing is an option.

Ability for users to upload photos.

Free WiFi/Internet access should be highlighted if available.

Ability for hotel owner to "upgrade" their listing.

Distance from city centre should be a field too.

Cloak outbound "book now" links and send the clicker through using your affiliate URL ;)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Offer reviews and make sure the month/year the person reviewing is an option.

OK. The year field makes sense. Hopefully that's doable
Ability for users to upload photos.
Users as in people browsing or hotel owners?

Free WiFi/Internet access should be highlighted if available.

That makes sense
Ability for hotel owner to "upgrade" their listing.

I'd planned on that option for later ie. when there are enough listings
Distance from city centre should be a field too.
Nice. I hadn't thought of that.
Cloak outbound "book now" links and send the clicker through using your affiliate URL ;)
Hehe :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmz. that will be added to the list ... not sure which list, but I know there is one :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've got to question though how important it is to show pagerank on the pages ?
Dublin Airport Hotels*«*Dublin Hotels*«*Irish Hotel Search*:: Places to Stay in Ireland
Is it a good indication of how good a hotel is or just a good indication of how good their SEO is ?
Interesting question :)

I'll have to check the settings, but I've found that website owners seem to like their PR displaying .. Now that may not apply to hoteliers, so I could easily disable it - one click solution really

Forbairt

Now that may not apply to hoteliers, so I could easily disable it - one click solution really

Hm.... well it could mean more business for SEO people :D when the hoteliers realise their pr is lower than the competition down the street :D

Still though as a casual visitor to the site I find the PR thing strange ... I don't know what it is ,,, PageRank ... is this how popular the site is ... is this hotel searches recommendation .... why are most of the hotels only getting 2 - 5 out of 10 I'm paying for a 5 star hotel I expect it to be 10 / 10

As a webdesiger at the moment I'm not giving much heed to PR more important to me is where the site is on certain keywords.
Given PR doesn't get updated that often and seems to be a bit of a strange beast in my eyes the best it can act as is a simple enough indication to a customer they need to do some more work as their site is only 1/10 [again I'm not an seo expect but hoping to get there eventually :)]

rooneydavid

Your better off looking at what the bigger sites are offering as default standard information. The internet thing is tricky, there are 3 kinds in hotels. WiFi, Ethernet and Internet via TV. So you would have to show the icons or text for that hotel otherwise you will find yourself in trouble with hotels for advertising the wrong information. For instance >> Clarence Hotel, 5* Hotel, Dublin

Another good idea is showing local attractions and distance also how far from the local airport and stations.

@Blacknight: Hotels dont care about page rank, they dont even understand it and trust me on that. I was the head of IT & Development for one of the largest hotel reservation companies in Ireland. And we spent thousands getting the content / icons right.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
@Blacknight: Hotels dont care about page rank, they dont even understand it and trust me on that. I was the head of IT & Development for one of the largest hotel reservation companies in Ireland. And we spent thousands getting the content / icons right.
Actually I won't trust you on anything as you still haven't apologised for your stupid accusation or published my comment on same.

Status
Not open for further replies.