Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

In general how long does it take for search engines 'google' to fully index a new site?

As in all content, meta data, etc etc.

Am I right in saying a site does be sand-boxed for the first month or so?

caminowebmaster

Sandbox is not with regards to indexing, it is with regards to rankings. On a new site on a new domain ranking can be slow to come 6-12 months depending on your niche.

If the site structure is good indexing should at most take a couple of weeks - just don't have your pages very deep and link the site well page to page

IPAlarms

...and don't forget that the clock only starts ticking after you have either registered the site in Google Webmasters, or you have created a link to it from another site.

bober

Cheers thanks - I was just a bit concerned because my personal site is live about 4 weeks & it's not really getting any natural visits. The site is structured well in terms of content, meta tags, alt tags etc. (google, yahoo & bing submission).

@IPAlarms thanks I've got that done since day one :)

Satanta

In general how long does it take for search engines 'google' to fully index a new site?
Impossible to give a 'general' answer. It's 100% down to the specifics. To 'fully' index, the answer could be never or could be a couple of hours. If it's an indexing problem you're having, review your external links and site architecture to see how you can improve things.

... it's not really getting any natural visits.
Is the problem indexing or organic traffic?

If it's a traffic issue, chances are you're competing in areas where you're just not competitive enough at the moment (this is the marketing/seo site?). Focus on more specific niches or more long tail terms, expanding your reach as the site improves. At the moment, it appears to just carry a mix of the most common buzz words, that appear on hundreds of thousands of other sites. There's nothing there to suggest your site 'should' rank for any of those terms.

Regarding the sandbox comment, you might want to do a little more reading up on it (even here on IWF).

bober

Is the problem indexing or organic traffic?

Cheers Satanta - 'just thank you' Yep it's the seo/personal site & an Organic issue. I just found this odd - even when I googled my own name/domain name 'glen quinn' The average page position is 2.4. I was kinda thinking right how is this? after a couple of weeks! As for the site structure & long tail terms I'll look into this for sure, thanks.

read the link about sandbox - all clear.

link8r

How many pages do you have? If there's just a handful, its possible to get them indexed in a few days/weeks. Meta-data doesn't help to get it indexed. If you have 100's of pages, then it will take longer. Google will report back the number of pages in the index from the xml sitemap you've submitted. When you have a lot of pages, especially down the Tiers (T3/T4/Tx) these often don't have enough authority for Google to index (although it may crawl them). Make sure they're properly linked.

Meta data doesn't help with indexing/ranking - its just part of the content of a page.

link8r

Cheers Satanta - 'just thank you' Yep it's the seo/personal site & an Organic issue. I just found this odd - even when I googled my own name/domain name 'glen quinn' The average page position is 2.4. I was kinda thinking right how is this? after a couple of weeks! As for the site structure & long tail terms I'll look into this for sure, thanks. read the link about sandbox - all clear.

What search phrase do you expect you should rank for?

Satanta

What search phrase do you expect you should rank for?
Looking at the comment, it appears as if it's 'glen quinn'.

If that is the case, you're competing against the likes of a wiki page and imdb (pages focused on 'glenn quinn'). Needless to say, those sites carry a lot more authority and trust than your site does at the moment. I'd also suggest that a search for 'glen quinn' is far more likely to be a typo for the (deceased) actor than a search for you/your business, so I'd 100% expect to see one of those articles above you in the SERPs.

Assuming you do get your page to outrank the others, optimising for 'glen quinn', I'd suggest it will be of little value to you. There won't be a steady flow of organic traffic (I'm assuming that Glenn wasn't big enough to draw large traffic? I've not checked the figures to be honest, but even if there was traffic it'd be pretty much irrelevant to you/your site) and if the person was intentionally searching for you they'd easily find you slightly lower down the page. I'd forget about aiming for that phrase (it will increase naturally in time in any case, your name will be a common anchor text for links to your site) completely and focus on more relevant and important (but not too competitive) terms that will bring relevant traffic.

I'm sure others will agree that while it can be nice to rank well for a particular vanity term, in many cases it can be totally useless in terms of traffic or more importantly in terms of conversions.

bober

I'm not trying to rank for Glen Quinn - I was just using that as reference considering it's the site name & it's part of lot of my content. I wouldn't expect it to benefit me organically. I think further down the line I'd like to be found for phrases such as 'social marketing facebook' 'custom facebook page design'

@link8r The site currently has 21 pages. (Thie site will eventually will have 100's of pages -> the site is part of my google adwords certified studies & I'm gonna basically blog my studies) I'd like my content to gain me some value online - I've recently started to submit articles to ezinearticles.com

Considering the online marketing net is competitive I will concentrate on long tail keyword phases such as 'internet marketing on facebook dublin' & maybe some 'how to guides'

link8r

You're going to rank for your name because there isn't a lot of competition based around it.

The mistakes/assumptions you're making are typical of anyone new to Search Marketing.

Just because you have "Online Marketing" or "Facebook Marketing" - doesn't mean you will rank [highly]. You will rank - but just 15 pages down the road. Google views keywords in content, not just in special tags. That just tells Google which searches the site is relevant to. Where you rank is another matter....and having 10 pages or 100 pages saying the same thing, isn't going to help you rank higher - that's like just trying to vote yourself higher....

There's no end of sites out there with Online Marketing, Facebook Marketing, SEO. Do a search for Website design Dublin - only 10 sites rank organically and its not because the other 900 don't have the words on their site.

bober

The mistakes/assumptions you're making are typical of anyone new to Search Marketing.

Just because you have "Online Marketing" or "Facebook Marketing" - doesn't mean you will rank [highly]. You will rank - but just 15 pages down the road. Google views keywords in content, not just in special tags. That just tells Google which searches the site is relevant to. Where you rank is another matter.....

Cheers for your patients. Here's my understanding of what I'm trying to do/achieve with this project. From the offset.. put in place google web master tools, keyword research, analytics, site map, search engine submission etc. create meta data tags, titles, keywords, descriptions, write good relevant content, submit some articles, build on links with other sites & so on.

I've good practice in place (i think) but I suppose the experience combining this correctly/to it's full extent is needed - On an off topic, I've never worked in online (I'm a printer/desktop publisher). That's part of the reason for my google studies - to gain a position within the online industry:)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Focus on writing good original content

Don't waste too much time worrying about search engine rank (yet!)

There are a LOT of factors that come into play and you need to be patient :)

Satanta

I've good practice in place (i think) but I suppose the experience combining this correctly/to it's full extent is needed
I only spent a couple of seconds looking to find 'something' to point out, but the one that jumped out is your current navigation. This could be improved dramatically relatively quickly (you still won't rank highly for many of your current target terms, but it will put you in a far better position to do so in the future and help you gain more knowledge about how the 'system' works).

Taking your "SEO" page as an example, "Check my seo category for some important ingredients ->" is far from ideal. You're directing the user to a general category section rather than promoting the most important pages/links directly in the content with relevant anchor text.

Spend a little time reading up on information architecture, how the bots read a page and parse it, how the location of a link plays a part (boiler plate vs. content), etc. etc.. There's a huge amount of valuable information out there (focus on the SEs patent applications or information from known trusted sources, not just random articles) that will help you get a grasp on it.

Also hugely worth thinking about the users and making things easier for them. If I go to the SEO page from the main navigation, I want the most important information to be laid out for me straight away. If I have to go to a blog category page and then try and figure out which posts I need to/should read, you'll lose me to another site.

Status
Not open for further replies.