Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
At the moment I'm kinda finding I'd like to work in an office ... away from home ... maybe with other companies ...

Cabin Fever I think is kicking in ... :eek:

seeing the snow there Paul all I can think is I want to move :D

nanotriffid

I've done both and I can't help feeling that a combination of the two would be best. 3 days at home and 2 at an office would be ideal for me. Being at home is more productive but after about 2 months I get stir crazy and need to bounce ideas around with someone. I also love to get some geek-speak in to get me excited about all the possibilities out there and to find out about changes in the industry that I might have missed at home. Great forums like this do help though.

Sinead Hanley

I work from home and find it great - it has its advantages and disadvantages - the main disadvantage for me is getting new clients - anyone have any ideas???

Byron

I have worked at home > office > bigger office > garage and now back home again. It works really well as a student, as I can work late into the night, without worrying about having to drive home, etc.

I generally meet clients at their workplace, or the local high end pub. Hotels are also useful, thankfully people respect design skill over flash offices most of the time.

@Sinead - contacts are key, pester them within reason, offer referral bonuses off future work, I have only gotten four clients who wasn't a time waster by email! (which I know is shocking)!

Tom

I work from home and find it great - it has its advantages and disadvantages - the main disadvantage for me is getting new clients - anyone have any ideas???

Yes stop copying content off other peoples websites. You've got paragraphs of text and images lifted straight off of our website. sheesh

jol

I love the freedom of working at home but I think you have to be a disciplined person. And if people call round for a coffee and a chat it is hard to try and make it clear that really you should be working...
JOL

CelticJim

Well,fair play to her for at least taking it down LOL

I work from home but have been thinking an office would be nice for part of the time if I can find something for the right price.The cabin fever does get a bit intense sometimes especially as I live alone with no neighbours closer than 500 yards.My dining room table is my worktop for my saws and polishers (I work with meteorites) and I just need more room for the comps and printers,dymo labeller,notebooks etc.Hope you don't mind the link,take it out if it's an issue
Meteorites For Sale For Sale in Loughanure, Donegal: Buy and Sell Second Hand Crazy Random Stuff on Adverts.ie

plenty of pros of course working from home especially the view

jta001

Working from Home

After working in Government and Corporate for over thirty years; and being a programmed nine to fiver; plus much after hours work (as I was an engineer), I enjoy working from home.

I have turned my rumpus room, which is downstairs from my living, into my office and work area; developed a routine and wouldn't have it any other way. There is no way that I could ever work for someone else again nor could I work in a corporate office. Working from home rulz!

Cheers,
John :cool:

archiseek

I work from home - have done for last year. Done it before from 2000 - 2006.

Definitely need your own office, which I have. Upside no commute. Downside no commute. I liked to walk downtown, it was "me" time, got to think, look around, listen etc

Other downside is lack of interaction with people - when you're busy, you put your head down and you possibly don't leave the house for days.

My ideal would be a nice office at end of the garden. And working for myself. Even though I'm working from home, I am an employee.

I think my wife would like me to have a job in an office out of the house though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.