How much is an ad worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandad

Grandad has a question he has asked me to pass on.

He has been approached by a company that want to place ads on five of his old posts. The ads consist of a simple sentence -

Example:
"You are never too old to Learn something new, if you've always wanted to Learn to do something it is never too late. Whether it's Learning To Draw that has always fascinated you or if Playing the Guitar has piqued your interest you can make it happen."

Embedded in that sentence are about four links.

Each ad consists of a different sentence, so we are talking about a total of around 20 links.

They want the ads placed "permanently, but for at least a year".

Head Rambles currently uses Google Ads [with a crap return] and TLA which have placed a significant number of ads on the site, generating around $170 p.m. for Grandad [over $2,000 p.a. Not bad!].

The stats are - Google Page Rank: 5, Alexa Rank: 335,415 [though individual pages often show up as 299,497 for some reason], Visitors per day: around 200, Page views per day: around 400.

The question.......

What would be a reasonable charge for these inserts??????

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I get contacted by people like that regularly. It's easier just to let TLA handle the links for me tbh

Redfly

Without knowing any more and knowing the fact that THEY came to you I would charge the value of a sitewide link times two. So lets say $60 a link (Because they are contextual and permenant) . $60 * 20 = $1200. Substitute $60 with a higher number if you prefer.

I am sure he already knows but if you want to go do it, make sure that he understands that you understand the value of an editorial link. He clearly does, hence the links in the sentence.

grandad

He's been given an opening bid of $135, which would seem a waste to chuck away. They say they are "open to offers".

grandad

Without knowing any more and knowing the fact that THEY came to you I would charge the value of a sitewide link times two. So lets say $60 a link (Because they are contextual and permenant) . $60 * 20 = $1200. Substitute $60 with a higher number if you prefer.

I am sure he already knows but if you want to go do it, make sure that he understands that you understand the value of an editorial link. He clearly does, hence the links in the sentence.

Wow! So it looks like the $135 is a bit on the low side! Taking it that TLA are valuing the site at $25 p.m. for a front page ad [I think] then that would work out at $500 per month.

I'm beginning to see some negotiating ahead....

Status
Not open for further replies.