How profitable is it to register many domains?

Atepud

How profitable is it to register many domains? Cheap registration and cheap domain renewals are important for me. I have seen cheap registrations many times, but very expensive domain renewals. Even with every year the renewal price may increase.
Such options don’t suit me. Recommend the cheapest domains. Can I pay for the services of the registrar by cryptocurrency?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You've got multiple questions in there

I'll try to answer the main ones:

How profitable is it to register many domains?
It isn't.
You don't make money from registering lots of domain names.

Cheap registration and cheap domain renewals are important for me
okay, but why are you registering the domain names?

I have seen cheap registrations many times, but very expensive domain renewals.
Registries and registrars often offer discounts on 1st year registrations. In some cases the discount is such that they're being sold below cost.

Recommend the cheapest domains
The cheapest domain extensions or the cheapest places to get them?
Either way there's no definitive answer as it'll change all the time

Can I pay for the services of the registrar by cryptocurrency?
Some registrars will take payment via Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

Postre

If you don’t have specific preferences for domain zones, you can check .XYZ .ICU domains at Pananames. These are the cheapest domains right now. Moreover, you can immediately see prices for renewals several years in advance. I usually pay via Paypal or by credit card. I haven’t seen any crypto payment methods. It is necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Bear in mind that if a registration is €1 the renewal is going to be higher, so you need to look at the total cost of ownership not just the first year registration.

The .icu extension has been pretty cheap since they launched so their volumes are quite high, but they also attract bad behaviour as they're so cheap

Postre

By the way, you can save twice. Register domains where it is cheaper, and then transfer them to the registrar, where the renewal is cheap.
I already wrote about it above. At the Panamanian registrar domain renewal prices are scheduled 10 years in advance.

Award-winning Mac antivirus and Internet security software