How to delete category in Wordpress.com completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helennguyen3687

Hello guys,
I have a satellites site on Wordpress.com(WP) with some categories. I did delete some of them, I also replaced the articles by new categories
and now Google(GG) send me messages about those not found category errors that I deleted.

The question is how to delete category in Wordpress.com completely? Please find attached for more details.
Could you please help me to troubleshoot that?
I just hope GG won't index those link anymore.
Thanks in advance.

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
Hi helennguyen3687,

How long ago did you make the change?

Google and other search engines need to re-index your website to see the change to the categories/URLs.
This is an automated process that can take days or maybe week or two.

- You can "Ask Google to recrawl your URLs" via Console (aka Google Google Webmaster Tools) which should speed the process by making them aware of your changes.
- You can also submit an updated xml sitemap via Google console or if you use an SEO plugin like "Yoast" on your WP site, you can configure it to create a sitemap (which will auto update) and connect it to your Google Console.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
When you make "big" changes to a site which leads to an increase in 404 errors it'll get flagged by Google. It's not a problem really - they'll pick up on the changes eventually.

Mark Justin

1. Create a new category to be your new default, if you have not done so already.
  2. Go to Settings > Writing.
  3. Go to Default Post Category.
  4. From the drop down menu, select the category you wish to be the new default.
  5. Click Save Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.