.ie that wasn't renewed by someone else ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
So here is the story ...

I grabbed a domain for a non profit a while back ... (christmas time) via The .ie Domain drop list - Dropped.ie - deleted and expired Irish domains as I saw it up for grabs and immediately registered it.

Non profit I grabbed it for have just been approached and asked if they wouldn't mind transferring it back to the original owners of the domain.

The original owners have another domain name. .ie as well ..

So I'm wondering what would you do. Both are non profits ...

Their claim is that the person who regged the domain originally left the organisation.

The domain was deleted back in July last year.
My crowd are now being contacted about it in April this year.
So obviously it wasn't missed within that time? (or I could be wrong)

What would you do ? I've already advised my crowd one wAy but what would you do ?

No I won't be naming the domains ... just curious about peoples opinions on this. A good bit of time has passed between the domain dropped and me grabbing it on behalf of the other party so hmm...
While I understand a lot of this can be double dutch to people ... is it a case of you snooze you lose ?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If they allowed the domain to be deleted and only noticed now then it obviously wasn't that important to them.

If they're trying to make out that they are the "owners" then they are sorely mistaken

A .ie domain name like any other domain name is only yours to use for a fixed period of time. If you don't renew it (and you are given ample opportunity to do so in .ie) then it becomes available for anyone else to register (use)

So if your client is actively using the domain, which I assume is the case, then I'd tell the other lot politely and firmly to get lost :)

newmaster

100% agree with blacknight on this too. It's nearly 12 months since they have not had the domain so any attempt of them trying to get it back now is futile.

It's really down to the new domain holder as to whether or not they want to give it back. If the iedr allowed them to have it then the first crowd cant really fight it now

Status
Not open for further replies.