IE6 and 1E7 on the same system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

I know there have been a few posts about this but what is the definitive hack to get both of these browsers working on the system system?

louie

i red about it somewhere as well , but it wasn't stable enough to use it.
It created a lot of problem so never install it myself.

Gala

I'm not 100% on this now but I'm pretty sure that you cant have completely different installs of the two browsers. IE7 will upgrade certain components within the OS which will then be used by both IE6 and IE7. I tried to do it on my work machine and it ran fine until we realised that IE6 wasnt actually behaving the way it should and was using those components from the new version.

You'll notice the second you install IE7 that the fonts and overall look of websites improves drastically. If you then go and use IE6 you will see the same improvement in that browser too. I'm not sure if some smart bloke has figure out a different hack for it by now though.

If that sounds like what you want then you could run through this guide.

anthonymcg

I've upgraded to IE7 but have IE6 available via a Virtual PC that I can run. Not too sure where I found the guide to do it.

TopHatSolutions

The New full version of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is available now under microsofts downloads page

I have tested it and works great

RedCardinal

I know there have been a few posts about this but what is the definitive hack to get both of these browsers working on the system system?

I have version 5.5, 6, 7 running locally. I'll have a look for the installer. Google for 'mulitpleIE'. You might find it.

davidbehan

i have used this, both at home and in work - all is fine so far
There is an issue with the reliability of testing as all versions you have installed use your latest version of javascript that's on the computer so you are not getting a true standalone version. Saying that, for testing the look of the sites, it works fine.

ph3n0m

There is an issue with the reliability of testing as all versions you have installed use your latest version of javascript that's on the computer so you are not getting a true standalone version. Saying that, for testing the look of the sites, it works fine.

sorry yes I should have clarified that - for visual tests all is well.

luckily I dont usually do fancy stuff with javascript and if I do its already been tested on the various browsers before I touch it

Status
Not open for further replies.