Inbound Link Targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just been looking at where a site is getting traffic from and was wondering..

In some cases I can control which page on the site other sites link to ie. I could change the link to be a "deep" link to a specific product / service page.

Would that be better or should I try to keep as many of those links coming to the site's main page?

gbonnet

Deep links are usually harder to get and SEO-wise they're great since that can allow your deep pages to rank much better and hence that boosts your "longtail". That also improves the conversion rate if the landing page is more relevant to the visitor.

gbonnet

With SEO there is rarely a general answer that fits every cases :)

I suppose the answer depends on the website.
- On a "small" (seo-wise) website, you may want to give the maximum weight on the home page.

- On a big one, where the home is already ranking OK, you may prefer to boost internal pages.

It's part of your SEO strategy(ies).

For my own website, blueface.ie, for example, the answer is Yes. I'd be definitely interested in increasing the weight of some internal pages since my home is already ranking well enough.

I put this in bold since that's the other big point to consider : "if the landing page is more relevant to the visitor". I would not link to any internal page if the content is not super relevant to the potential visitor and I would specify a good/relevant anchor for the link.

joker

I think you also need to optimize and create links on other pages.
And also if it is more relevant to link or keyword as anchor text, then you should have to do it.

zvioletz

yes definitely depend on the website.. if you have a great website and your content is what the user really want then thats what traffic really coming in .

Status
Not open for further replies.