Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beep

Hi
i have the relaunch of an irish directory coming up in the next two weeks and wanted to give any irish webmasters or seos the chance to get reduced fees and discounts on bulk submissions before the site is relaunched.

the site has a wide selection of very specific categories and your link will have two sets of created descriptions (one on site one meta) applied to it including keywords
please pm for url to anyone interested
thanks
Al

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So you're launching a new directory and you want to charge for submissions???

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
No I said i was relaunching..
Ok, but you still expect people to pay for inclusion...

So what's the directory?

Why would anyone want to pay for inclusion when they can get listed on so many other directories for free?

Gavin

Why would anyone want to pay for inclusion when they can get listed on so many other directories for free?
I have submitted to his directory for free, providing a link back of course.

Is all your directories free? You would be surprised what people pay to get included into directories. I know of a number of people in DP that wouldnt think twice in spending lots of money to get submitted.

If the directory has good Page Rank you can really make some great cash as there is always people out there willing to spend money for SEO purposes.

Gavin

I could never see why either but many do.

My ex-client is a perfect example, he would always tell me that money was no question when it came to getting back links and I actually sat and watched him spend 2K on 5 links, now thats madness.

Many SEO people will also go out and pay for listing in well trusted directories when they first launch a site so they can attempt to avoid the sandbox.

Personally, I have never purchased a link for any of my sites and they do well enough in the SERPS.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Many SEO people will also go out and pay for listing in well trusted directories when they first launch a site so they can attempt to avoid the sandbox.
TLA's business model is based on people buying links on sites with PR, backlinks and traffic, so I can see how it is attractive in some cases.

B

beep

its based along the same lines as buying a link at TLA or similar yes

a paid directory can work on many levels
sometimes its just to keep spammers away
sometimes its to "try" to reimburse for the time put in to maintain and actively promote it
i know i wont get the same amount of submissions but that can work to the advantage of those who submit..their link will have a greater chance of residing on a page with fewer links

i dont see any new promotion from any of the established irish directories and from what ive seen theyve stagnated
im trying to do something different and its a lot of work

you would pay for a listing in any directory if you thought you would have a better listing than you would on any other free directory..simple really
if you dont..you dont submit

and blacknight if you want to know the url
all you have to do is ask..
in PM

jmcc

Hi
i have the relaunch of an irish directory coming up in the next two weeks and wanted to give any irish webmasters or seos the chance to get reduced fees and discounts on bulk submissions before the site is relaunched.
Paying for directory inclusion? What a novel idea.

the site has a wide selection of very specific categories and your link will have two sets of created descriptions (one on site one meta) applied to it including keywords
If I was cynical, I'd expect it to be yet another Dmoz clone. I've lost count of the number of Irish web directories I've seen over the years. Most start out with all great intentions and aims and 18 months, or so, later they are gone. (I just realised that I own a great Irish web directory name that has been dormant for a few years. )

What you don't seem to realise is that while some of the dinosaurs of the Irish directory market may only appear stagnant, they could very well decide to move and having a few T-Rexes or Velociraptors (yes I know Jurassic Park III is on TV tonight :) ) in motion could make for an interesting race and no doubt some of the dinosaurs are hungry.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Good God, you wouldn't watch that tripe over Return Of The King (8pm C4), would you?
Not sure. I fell asleep watching the battle scene in one of the LOTR movies so I probably won't watch either of them. :) Luckily Apocalypse Now is on RTE2.

Regards...jmcc

B

beep

Paying for directory inclusion? What a novel idea.
If I was cynical, I'd expect it to be yet another Dmoz clone. Regards...jmcc
Why the pithy comment about paying for a directory inclusion?
And its not a Dmoz clone no

I've lost count of the number of Irish web directories I've seen over the years. Most start out with all great intentions and aims and 18 months, or so, later they are gone.
this is true but it doesnt mean that every new directory that comes along will go like this

What you don't seem to realise is that while some of the dinosaurs of the Irish directory market may only appear stagnant, they could very well decide to move and having a few T-Rexes or Velociraptors (yes I know Jurassic Park III is on TV tonight :) ) in motion could make for an interesting race and no doubt some of the dinosaurs are hungry.
im not going to waste time wondering what any of them could or could not do in the future when im busy doing something myself.
if they decide to change well they decide
they will not by default be the most powerful directories always anyway

B

beep

oh yea and thanks jmcc, RedCardinal and blacknight for just walking all over my thread
appreciate it

jmcc

Why the pithy comment about paying for a directory inclusion?
Because I still remember Doras. They tried the same thing a few years ago before promptly going dot.bomb. The logic of it wasn't there and the management of Doras.ie were clueless as to the way that the web was changing.

this is true but it doesnt mean that every new directory that comes along will go like this
Well the universe might disagree. The hassle of maintaining a directory generally finishes off these directories. What might seem like a trivial thing (maintaining a few hundred or a few thousand links) does not scale well unless you've got a properly designed backend and people who can handle the updates.

if they decide to change well they decide
they will not by default be the most powerful directories always anyway
It is the business of directories - those with the traffic are the important ones. Perhaps your directory may break into that market but the danger is that the larger directories might be better funded and decide to upgrade. Unless you can match the bet, you are out of the game or just a small player.

Regards...jmcc

B

beep

Because I still remember Doras. They tried the same thing a few years ago before promptly going dot.bomb. The logic of it wasn't there and the management of Doras.ie were clueless as to the way that the web was changing.
ive no idea what they did right or wrong and again i dont really care
im doing my own thing with my eyes open to the work involved in promoting and maintaining something like this
Well the universe might disagree. The hassle of maintaining a directory generally finishes off these directories. What might seem like a trivial thing (maintaining a few hundred or a few thousand links) does not scale well unless you've got a properly designed backend and people who can handle the updates.
and again..whats the attitude
i know about directories and what they entail
It is the business of directories - those with the traffic are the important ones. Perhaps your directory may break into that market but the danger is that the larger directories might be better funded and decide to upgrade. Unless you can match the bet, you are out of the game or just a small player.
of course traffic is the factor
but quality traffic is more important to me
ill spend more time on making it relevant than placing unrelated links/content just for the sake of it
And again i dont need to break into any directory market..its part of an ongoing project to bring irish related content and services together.
I dont think a directory on its own is enough but it needs a different slant or added features and thats what im building

jmcc

ive no idea what they did right or wrong and again i dont really care
im doing my own thing with my eyes open to the work involved in promoting and maintaining something like this
If you are lucky, in this business, you learn from the mistakes of others.

i know about directories and what they entail
Everyone thinks the same thing.

but quality traffic is more important to me
ill spend more time on making it relevant than placing unrelated links/content just for the sake of it
That's the flaw in your plan. Ideas are the easy part but your time is limited. As the directory grows, you will find yourself spending more and more time on it. The human element is that thing that causes most directories to fail - they grow to such a size that editorial control is lost.

And again i dont need to break into any directory market..its part of an ongoing project to bring irish related content and services together.
Well the whole emphasis of the thread and your selling point is that it is an Irish web directory. That would automatically put it in the directory market.

I dont think a directory on its own is enough but it needs a different slant or added features and thats what im building
True. I just don't know if your unique selling point is unique enough.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Award-winning Mac antivirus and Internet security software