Status
Not open for further replies.

glengara

Recently, results for the term "internet marketing" would feature quite a few Irish sites, this evening it's gone back to the old days, not one Irish site in the first twenty. Has anyone noticed any "rhyme or reason" on why/when Irish results turn up for generic queries?

jmcc

Maybe it is some kind of update in progress. They could have flipped back to the non ccTLD optimised index.

Regards...jmcc

glengara

Hi JMCC you could be right about an update, but would you say Irish results generally feature on generic queries these days?

jmcc

Hi JMCC you could be right about an update, but would you say Irish results generally feature on generic queries these days?
Very rarely Glengara - most of the time, Irish sites don't feature well on the main Google index unless they are very well promoted or have a clear connection (often domain keywords) with the search phrase.

Regards...jmcc

RedCardinal

Recently, results for the term "internet marketing" would feature quite a few Irish sites, this evening it's gone back to the old days, not one Irish site in the first twenty. Has anyone noticed any "rhyme or reason" on why/when Irish results turn up for generic queries?
Interesting. It may be a small tweak. If this is very recent you might find it reverts as the further tweak whatever change they made.

You saw it recently when they relaxed the authority factor in favour of relevancy - for a few days I was ranking above akamarketing.com for 'search engine optimisation ireland', and then it reverted as they brought the weights applied to those factors back toward their initial values.

My take is that the authority factor has been scaled back slightly - I think it's quite normal for them to test the changes and then tone them back after a few days if they spiked any factor to high. Might well be the case in the coming days/weeks for this change.

In the last week or so I've noticed sites go from #1 to mid #20's and back again inter-day so it seems they are tweaking things quite a bit lately.

Funny though - checking some other (less competitive) niches I track I can see results which are still skewed toward Irish sites on Google.ie. Not quite sure why 'internet marketing' isn't behaving the same way?

Odd. But that's Google all over. Strange beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.