Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron

Hi guys,
I have a client in the process of seemingly being tormented into paying around €4,000 for a years priemium listing, in a section with a top listing rotation of one in thirty. Is it worth the investment really?

If not, any other recommendations. Your Local's predecessor brought poor results for them.

They are in print / branding.

I feel 4k is stupidily high, a PR7 site should not cost that much with such a poor display ratio??

Many Thanks,
Byron

Juice

Are they getting a premium ad in the printed directory for that, or is it 4K for the online ad only?

babyboy808

I have never heard any success stories of people listing in the Golden Pages. I doubt your client will make a fraction of that 4k back!

Byron

Online premium ad only. Would it be worth getting them to hack down the price?

There results are dire other than there PR 7

babyboy808

Why does Toolbar PR matter to you? - Why not get your client to look for a PPC person and get a nice adwords campaign going.

Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron

Why does Toolbar PR matter to you? - Why not get your client to look for a PPC person and get a nice adwords campaign going.

I recommended that, they are pretty determined though to spend on directories.

Juice

If it's online, then ideally Golden Pages should be open to the idea of a one month test, to see if it works. If they are not, then they probably have something to hide. 4K is a lot to spend on something that you don't know will work.

I agree that an Adwords campaign would be better, at least your client wouldn't have to fork out a huge sum up front.

jmcc

Hi guys,
I have a client in the process of seemingly being tormented into paying around €4,000 for a years priemium listing, in a section with a top listing rotation of one in thirty. Is it worth the investment really?
No. Have your client examine the Google Adwords option.

Regards...jmcc

Byron

I recommended this. I got a few PM's also. I think the best plan of action is to ask for a one month trial, for an awful lot less than GP are asking for.

If that brings in justified returns, we'll look down that path, otherwise, I'll go down the PPC route. I used to work for a company over a few summers which I know is reputable, effective and charges a fair fee, probably with a fair kickback also for referring.

I am going to add them to an awful lot of link directories, they are already in the print version, and basic listing online, so they don't really need GP, but I will see what happens. If they don't allow for a one month trial period (with links I can actually track using Analytics), I might pay a visit to their marketing manager, invoiced of course. :D

Thanks Guys,
Byron

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
We tried Golden Pages a couple of years ago (online)
Total waste of money

The print version isn't much better, though I think that's because of our target market / niche

GimmeDat

Have used both print and online ads with them.. Print for 5 years running, and online for just 2 months.

This will most likely be my last year. For its price, the online advert is rubbish and the book is more useful for blocking the draft from under the door than to bring in new business. You get plenty of callers, but mainly residential, in my experience.

But having said that, the Goldenpages works differently for everyone. Its completely industry specific. Its perfect for Plumbers and Builders, etc.

learnpipe

depends on target

I used goldenpages in a previous role. We only go nuisance calls from our ad. For our business, it wasn't a useful medium. But that's not to say that it won't work for your client. It very much depends of your target demographic. If your client's business is focused on a younger audience they may not even have heard of the goldenpages. My impression is that certain businesses do well (mechanics, vets, plumbers, et.) Get your client to do some research with their existing clients to see if they use it. If a large percentage do...then it may pay.

Byron

Thanks Blueberry,

They were eventually offered colour ad in GP, three other listings and online listing for €300!

I don't think it's too much harm at that rate to be honest, they seem to get about 10 referrals a week through GP.

Regards
Byron

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Blueberry,

They were eventually offered colour ad in GP, three other listings and online listing for €300!

I don't think it's too much harm at that rate to be honest, they seem to get about 10 referrals a week through GP.

Regards
Byron

Which directory (area code) was this in?
What kind of online listing? I think the basic one is free ..

Byron

Hi Byron,

Just a quick email to say we got online listing with image and web address, three ads including one colour in the Dublin Area directory.

Regards

Byron

btw, I did call them up to find out how much they were ripped off for and was pleasantly surprised

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting ..
We spent a fortune with Golden Pages and got absolutely NO return from it at all
I think part of the problem is that they have one section for ALL "internet services", which isn't much use, while other categories would be a lot more specific and useful

Byron

They are in an industry which is very much old boys club, the majority of their inquiries are referrals, then printed media, so maybe it is really industry specific. They offer services which could be determined as being several products, etc which probably also helps

They are in an industry which is very much old boys club, the majority of their inquiries are referrals, then printed media, so maybe it is really industry specific. They offer services which could be determined as being several products, etc which probably also helps

I would not recommend using the Golden Pages for this kind of business.

The money would be much better spent on other forms of advertising targeting the right clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.