Status
Not open for further replies.

SteH

Hi,
I'm looking for some feeback on our website jar.ie. The site is for finding, rating and reviewing bars, pubs and clubs in Ireland. We're just starting with out so features are limited for now but I'm looking for any sort of feedback. A lot of effort has been put into the backend functionality so from a technical perspective we're pretty happy with the foundations. The front end and other features haven't had as much energy put into them just yet. We've about 5000+ pubs/clubs/bars indexed and we estimate there are about 7000+ in total in Ireland. We've a lot of work to do over the next while to catalogue every place and also get more details about each place. So right now we're looking for any comments, suggestions or recommendations early.

Cheers,
Ste

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I love the domain name

But ..

Images in the top of the page navigation bar aren't loading
You've no privacy policy and no information about cookies - both are required

SteH

I love the domain name

But ..

Images in the top of the page navigation bar aren't loading
You've no privacy policy and no information about cookies - both are required

Thanks Blacknight. I'm not too concerned at the moment with the EU Cookie Directive. I'm very familiar with it and it's on the list but not a priority.

I'm more concerned with images that you can't see. Can you send me a screenshot with your browser details too?

SteH

Thanks again blacknight, can you tell me what browser you were using?

Not happy to break the law but not everything can be prioritised either. Compliance for the EU Cookie directive stands at about 5% max of Irish websites. The data commissioner hasn't set out solid guidelines on what the best implementation of these laws are. Initially websites were told they'd have to allow users to turn off individual cookies - which isn't practical - now it seems that the Data Commissioner is happy enough to let the market decide what the best implementation policy is. ireland is following many UK sites which isn't right in fairness. There are a lot of unanswered questions. They've written to about 100 websites to see if they are compliant but no real guidelines are in place. Websites are just following other wesbites in terms of implementation. There are nearly 200,000 ie domains out there and we're sticking with the majority in the very short term. Personally, I work day to day in a very regulated world and understand that this law is in it's infancy and is not a priority for a website like ours just yet.

I'm sure the discussion about cookies is a massive one (and interesting) but I think you'll appreciate that, for now, it's not a major concern for what we're trying to achieve with jar.ie in the very short term.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Your Browser User Agent String is Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.18

Status
Not open for further replies.