Joomla question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobby

Hi all, I'm new to Joomla, have a Q.

I have a template that I've set up in Joomla and I want the edit the layout of some of the menu buttons. Is there a way I can do this using the admin tool? or do I have to do it by editing the files directly. I cannot see any reference to the menu positions in the html or css section of the management tool ?

The problem is that I don't know php ? Are the menu locations set in Php or database ?

cheers

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a Joomla expert, but from what I remember it's a mixture of the template files and the modules themselves ie. the modules have settings for the menu item positions...

fobby

ahh, never saw the modules, just looking at templates/html/css and the files themselves on the server, at a first glance it looks a bit limited on the display options but I'll go exploring for a while .. cheers blacknight

fobby

ok, can't really change much with the modules option. Does this mean that I must create my own template in order to make a site? which will mean learning PHP ?

Is there any other way of doing this using Joomla ?

dave

There are several ways to change the layout of the menu buttons. You can do it through the modules menu in the admin section, through css or through php. It all depends on what you are trying to do.

What are you trying to do with the layout?

fobby

I can see the tags in the CSS now, I just can't see where these tags are defined, i.e. I don't know whats what from the names in the CSS tags.

I can change the CSS tags, but its trial and error to see what each does :(

I had it in my head that the php was embedded in HTML to do dynamic stuff but I guess its used for presentation/content as well ??

Anyway I found the menu icons I wanted to change in CSS and moved them, all good, I went to change the color of their gifs as well but I couldn't modify them, as there is read only permissions on the files. The UID and GID for the files is Apache, dunno how to get Apache privileges just yet ... well at least I kinda got the CSS think sorted in my head .. will worry about the permissions tomorrow

dave

If you have more than one menu you can customise them with css, you just need to add a unique name in suffix menu parameter in the menu module.

If you uploaded the template through the template manager apache will be the owner of those files and you can't change them in any other way other than reupload the whole template. (Unless you have root privilages and can change the user).
I usually ftp the template up onto the server and that way I can change any part of the template I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.